Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting roof sheet with wire - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,825 Times in 9,927 Posts

Cutting roof sheet with wire - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 24, 2024), odd one (Jan 24, 2024), Ralphxyz (Jan 24, 2024), Sleykin (Mar 7, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    WOW amazing that anyone would post this.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    When I was in high school, me and a buddy of mine used an old piece of bicycle brake cable to do this to the windshield on his car. We pushed the cable through the windshield adhesive, one was on the inside of the car and one was on the hood. Then we just pulled the cable back and forth, the whole way around the windshield to break the glue seam. I can't remember if we ended up getting the windshield out in one piece. If I were to hazard a guess I would say we did not.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 26, 2024)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbat74 View Post
    WOW amazing that anyone would post this.
    It's a tool that works, why do you need so much attention?

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bob_3000 For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 27, 2024), Frank S (Jan 24, 2024), mwmkravchenko (Jan 26, 2024), odd one (Jan 24, 2024)

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    Probably around 29 gauge. Don't think it would work with much thicker. Seems you would have to snip the metal at the start to prevent it from just bending the sheet.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The wire idea is not a bad one, but you really don't need the wire, just score a line with a box knife then rip the sheet by holding down 1 edge and pulling up on the other.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The wire idea is not a bad one, but you really don't need the wire, just score a line with a box knife then rip the sheet by holding down 1 edge and pulling up on the other.
    That is how I acquired a 6" scar on my lower leg. Pull up the sheet to rip and step forward to progress. After awhile, you can rip a sheet following a sharpie line without needing to score the sheet. A moment of inattention however, and that ripped edge is like a razor blade. I felt it bounce off of my shin bone, but it was so sharp, there was no pain. I used to put up metal buildings in Texas "Pakastani style" wearing shorts.....but not sandals. Would not change a thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    When I was in high school, me and a buddy of mine used an old piece of bicycle brake cable to do this to the windshield on his car. We pushed the cable through the windshield adhesive, one was on the inside of the car and one was on the hood. Then we just pulled the cable back and forth, the whole way around the windshield to break the glue seam. I can't remember if we ended up getting the windshield out in one piece. If I were to hazard a guess I would say we did not.
    I have removed lots of windshields from cars like that. I worked a couple years in an auto salvage yard. We all carried a roll of music wire, in our yard buggies. Very seldom broke one. It just take patience. Seemed like the only ones we ever broke were the "one of a kind" models where it was the only one we had in the yard. NEVER broke one if there were multiples available.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 26, 2024), Sleykin (Mar 7, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by odd one View Post
    That is how I acquired a 6" scar on my lower leg. Pull up the sheet to rip and step forward to progress. After awhile, you can rip a sheet following a sharpie line without needing to score the sheet. A moment of inattention however, and that ripped edge is like a razor blade. I felt it bounce off of my shin bone, but it was so sharp, there was no pain. I used to put up metal buildings in Texas "Pakastani style" wearing shorts.....but not sandals. Would not change a thing.
    I'm not even sure Gillette can make their razor blades as sharp as roofing metal that has been ripped to size. I used to use a straight edge and a box knife to score the length of a sheet then fold up[ and down a couple times to break off the excess at the end of a roof. No power tool can cut faster. I've used circular saws with the blade on backwards. Does a great job but even military noise canceling ear muffs can't reduce than noise to a comfort level for me.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 26, 2024), nova_robotics (Jan 26, 2024)

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I've used circular saws with the blade on backwards. Does a great job but even military noise canceling ear muffs can't reduce than noise to a comfort level for me.
    Your not joking about that noise. I do not think I have ever created a louder racket than that, not to mention the shrapnel that it would throw even with an enclosed metal saw. I ended up buying a guillotine type sheer with the dies/blades of the profile of metal that I used....but that had its own issues.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to odd one For This Useful Post:

Thread Information