Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads

Hi All

I have quite a few solid rivets to shorten for dummy rivets on the horn plates of my 1" scale Minnie traction engine. So the criteria for the tool was to be able to cut several rivets at a time and maintain consistent length accuracy.

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-img_4494.jpg
    Horn plate and rivet cutting tool.

The tool is basically a guillotine that is loaded with rivets and the length is set by shims under the head of the rivet.

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-shims.jpg
    Shims, 3 different thickness. I have access to a CNC mill and made the shims using this method.

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-chain-drilling.jpg cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-clearing-chain-drilling.jpg cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-body-roughed-out.jpg
    Machining main body and sliding cutter

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-heat-treated.jpg
    Heat treated sliding cutter

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-unassembled-cutter.jpg
    Completed unassembled cutter.

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-additional-cutters.jpg cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-width-cutters.jpg
    Additional cutters and the thickness of each

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-assembeled-guillotine.jpg cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-spring-return.jpg
    Assembled cutter and spring return in left photo

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-shim-place.jpg
    Shim in place

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-arbour-press.jpg cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-tool-press.jpg
    Arbour press used to apply pressure to cut

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-test-cut.jpg
    Test cut

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-img_4497.jpg cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-img_4498.jpg
    Right rivet head the rivet was to long so the head didn't form correctly the left rivet was the trimmed rivet. The 2nd photo shows the preformed head side.

cutting solid rivets to correct length to form button heads-storage-box.jpg
    Storage box for rivet tooling

Arrand tools did make a rivet cutter but I couldn't find any information other than a friend has one and you can only cut one rivet at a time and washers need to be made to set length. If anyone has one I would be interested in seeing some photos of the design.

Thank you for taking the time to view
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 11, 2020), earl (Feb 10, 2020), greyhoundollie (Feb 16, 2020), Jon (Feb 13, 2020), mr mikey (Jun 22, 2022), olderdan (Feb 9, 2020), Paul Jones (Feb 8, 2020), Sleykin (Jul 30, 2023), sossol (Jun 23, 2022), threesixesinarow (Feb 11, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jun 22, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    thehomeengineer,
    I would like to see more videos about the miniature models you are making. I think your work would be very interesting to see.
    Paul

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

earl (Feb 10, 2020), greyhoundollie (Feb 16, 2020), thehomeengineer (Feb 8, 2020)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Paul

I have a web site which is more photo based. As you can tell I am more an engineer than a film maker. But I feel the videos help to clarify the photos and written description I provide. I will make more videos of the models and the processes I take to get to the end result.
    I really appreciate your interest and kind words.
    Practical Engineering

The Home Engineer

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 11, 2020), earl (Feb 10, 2020), greyhoundollie (Feb 16, 2020), olderdan (Feb 9, 2020), Paul Jones (Feb 10, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Rivet Cutting Tool to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Feb 16, 2020), Sleykin (Jul 30, 2023)

Thread Information