Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cybertruck...or how NOT to build a vehicle

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    I grew up when a truck was for work. It hauled 4 x 8's and laughed at heavy loads. Heck we could haul 4 x 8's in the stationwagon to!

What I see getting called trucks these days is a joke. Four doors that cover more vehicle length than the box. Oh well. I can put a 9 foot long board inside my Toyota Matrix. And my "little" Toyota Tacoma has a 6 foot box. Larger than most full size trucks. Trucks! hah. Time to grow back into working vehicles and leave the pretenders with their overgrown mini station wagons be. Most everything else is going to pot so why not trucks to !

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

suther51 (Nov 28, 2019), will52100 (Nov 28, 2019)

Thanks
    Thing looks like another SUV, suburban unutility vehicle, did they totally miss the chevy avalanche with a nearly unusable bed that they had to copy the same bad design?????? To think outside the box, first take it off your head!!!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

will52100's Tools
    Not a fair test at all. One thing I know from personal experience with fords is that they are light on the rear. Put a bit of a load in it and see what happens.

And I for one am of the belief that they stopped making actual trucks when International stopped making pick ups.
    courtneyknives.net

5. The Following User Says Thank You to will52100 For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Nov 30, 2019)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Our current car is a 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara with a piece of industrial carpet runner covering the back. MANY times that's been filled up with bags of cement, boards, bricks, ...

Hardly ever have had the rear seats set up for humans.

Now that we're moving we'll be getting one of these
    https://ladarymco.com/cars/4x4/5dv/about.php

Since "move in" on our house follows local custom, it will still need finish work. We'll need to put in floors (tile and laminate), railings for the all the stairs and balconies, wood tread & risers for the inside stairs (cast concrete), etc. Plus, the big warehouse store (Metro) is 48km away, so monthly trips to fill up with supplies.

On shopping trips we will normally be taking a friend with us, she doesn't drive and loves Metro. So, probably leave one back seat in human mode.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Recent articles compare the elon-pickup to a F-450 as far as towing is concerned.

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    is it fair when the tesla is the one which takes up the slack, then is rolling for the start?
    would they have got the same results with the same tyres on the F150, and the F150 had the rolling start?
    Probably not. Electric vehicles have phenomenal low-end torque. A Fairer test would be "Hault the typical load an F-150 is called upon to do" then dump a half ton of cinderblocks and 10 bags of mortar in the back of the F150. The Tesla owner would forfeit in a heartbeat, it might scratch his pretty truck...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 28, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Nov 30, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    People don’t seem to realise that unlike internal combustion engines that develop their maximum torque at at certain revs, electric motors develop their maximum torque at 1 RPM. That’s why they invented diesel-electric trains. The Diesel engine drives a massive generator for the electric motors.
    The slack and rolling start had very little to do with it. The F150 has to build revs to get to maximum torque at say 1500 rpm and get that to the ground without breaking traction. The Tesla can apply maximum torque without the revs so has much more control as to how the torque is applied. Also you need to look at the weight distribution of the 2 vehicles. How much weight is over the rear axle of each vehicle as the F150 has very little weight on the back it has a very high chance of breaking traction. If you want to compare apples with apples put the Tesla drivetrain into the F150 and do it again or stick a ton in the back of the F150.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrounga For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 28, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Nov 30, 2019), Rangi (Dec 1, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have no idea how much the Tesla battery pack weighs or where is sits, nor do I know how much each vehicle weighs.
    Anyhow, a truck is not a tractor and is not really meant as a machine for towing. A truck is meant to carry a load and any extra weight on the rear axle robs the truck of payload capability. This means an empty truck has quite low traction. A truck towing a trailer is supposed to be carrying some of the trailer's load on the hitch. Even a tow truck is designed to lift at least part of the load it is hauling, either on the crane or on the stinger.
    It would be more fair to compare how much weight they can carry as well as how large of a volume they can carry instead of how good they are at pretending to be tractors.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Cybertruck...or how NOT to build a vehicle-7493_da1b_811.jpeg
    image found on Peters Suppe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Nov 29, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    to say nothing of just where the batteries are in the tesla truck. If they're over or around the rear wheels,and with drag tyres on the tesla, I wouldn't call that "fair" at all.

Thread Information