Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DIY grinding wheel balancing jig

Thanks

Mazay's Tools

Exclamation DIY grinding wheel balancing jig

Easy to make Grinding Wheel Balancing System

Download Free plans

DIY grinding wheel balancing jig-homemade-grinding-wheel-balancer.jpg DIY grinding wheel balancing jig-grinding-wheel-balancer.jpg

3D CAD model

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mazay For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Jun 5, 2023), EnginePaul (Jun 11, 2023), hardlylook (Jun 5, 2023), johncg (Jun 5, 2023), kboy0076 (Jun 13, 2023), lassab999 (Jun 5, 2023), Metallurg33 (Jun 9, 2023), mr mikey (Jun 9, 2023), Scotty1 (Jun 8, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Mazay! We've added your Grinding Wheel Balancing Fixture to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Mazay's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Drilling (or any modification) to a grinding wheel is unwise. Balance should be corrected with a weight balancing washer. Example, drill holes in a steel washer to get the needed offset weight.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

Mazay (Jun 10, 2023), mr mikey (Jun 9, 2023), tonyfoale (Jun 9, 2023)

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Thank you. I never tried to balance a grinding wheel. Now I know the correct way. When I saw how he was doing that I thought that was very dangerous. Not OSHA approved. I never had a wheel blow apart but I know guys that did get hurt, some got stitches.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mr mikey For This Useful Post:

Mazay (Jun 10, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Yes indeed drilling a wheel is not a good idea.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Mazay (Jun 10, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Drilling (or any modification) to a grinding wheel is unwise. Balance should be corrected with a weight balancing washer. Example, drill holes in a steel washer to get the needed offset weight.
    "UNWISE?" It is out and out dangerous. If anyone seeing this video is tempted to follow the drilling for balance method then please do not. It could kill you.
    In the past I have seen several posts on here that are far from good practice but I usually refrain from criticism because people are unlikely to be harmed. The dangers to anyone following this post are just too great to ignore.
    Centrifugally induced stresses in a rotating disk are highest at the centre and reduce as you move toward the perifrery

Saltfever has pointed out that balance can be easily and correctly achieved by using unbalanced washers to cancel the unbalance of the wheels. Another way is to use two eccentric washers, then you can adjust the balance without re-drilling if for example you change wheels. Imagine that the eccentricity offset of each washer is set at 180 deg to each other. Then the washers balance each other and have no effect on the wheel. Now imagine that the two washers have the same orientation. This will create the maximum unbalanced condition of the washers. Place the washers between these two extremes and you can get whatever unbalance is needed to balance the wheel, provided that the maximum unbalance from the washers is enough.

PLEASE DO NOT DRILL YOUR WHEELS. This could happen.

DIY grinding wheel balancing jig-bad.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Mazay (Jun 10, 2023), Saltfever (Jun 9, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I agree with everyone else about the dangers of drilling a grinding wheel. The same thing goes for using the side of the wheel to grind with. A little touch up grinding on the side out near the edge may be fine, but too many times I have seen someone grinding down near the hub and actually grinding a deep grove in the side, only to have it grenade latter on
    Do everyone's concern a favor. Remove that wheel with the dimple holes drilled in it and smash it with a hammer then post a vid of it being done.
    There is nothing wrong with your balancing jig. but instead of destroying the integrity of the wheel use weighted or eccentric washers on either side you can mark their balancing location on the wheel with a marker then install on the grinder. But often times the rotor of the grinder motor is not so perfectly balanced either, particularly in cheaper grinders
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Mazay (Jun 10, 2023)

Thanks

Mazay's Tools

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I agree with everyone else about the dangers of drilling a grinding wheel. The same thing goes for using the side of the wheel to grind with. A little touch up grinding on the side out near the edge may be fine, but too many times I have seen someone grinding down near the hub and actually grinding a deep grove in the side, only to have it grenade latter on
    Do everyone's concern a favor. Remove that wheel with the dimple holes drilled in it and smash it with a hammer then post a vid of it being done.
    There is nothing wrong with your balancing jig. but instead of destroying the integrity of the wheel use weighted or eccentric washers on either side you can mark their balancing location on the wheel with a marker then install on the grinder. But often times the rotor of the grinder motor is not so perfectly balanced either, particularly in cheaper grinders
    Thank you all for the warning about the dangers of for balancing abrasive wheels by drilling.

Safety first, so please don't repeat after me!

That being said, I would like to point out a few reasons why I initially considered this method acceptable:
    - Cup Grinding Wheels are produced;
    DIY grinding wheel balancing jig-grinding-wheel.jpg
    - I didn't come up with this idea; I have seen this method more than once the internet, including from experienced craftsmen such as
    Time - 09:10

This source claims that the method is over 50 years old and has never experienced any issues after revisions. I trust this person.

Most likely, I will listen to the opinion of "Frank S" and ensure safety by adding additional weights for balance.

I like this method - it's not as simple as the one I demonstrated, but it is 100% safer:

DIY grinding wheel balancing jig-nortonwheelbalanced.jpg.

Source - http://www.nwnative.us/Grant/shop%20...ble/balancing/.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazay For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jun 10, 2023), Jon (Jun 10, 2023), Scotty1 (Jun 10, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I like this concept from the above post. Only thing is, it would take up too much space on most grinder arbors.

DIY grinding wheel balancing jig-balancer.png

They used to make a "ring" partially filled with round steel balls. (Think Hula-Hoop with some ball bearings in it) You would attach them inside the wheels on your car. Then they automatically balance your wheels. Front loading washing machines have fluid filled rings around the tub to balance during the spin cycle.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazay View Post
    Thank you all for the warning about the dangers of for balancing abrasive wheels by drilling.

Safety first, so please don't repeat after me!

That being said, I would like to point out a few reasons why I initially considered this method acceptable:
    - Cup Grinding Wheels are produced;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grinding-wheel.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	45579
    - I didn't come up with this idea; I have seen this method more than once the internet, including from experienced craftsmen such as
    Time - 09:10

This source claims that the method is over 50 years old and has never experienced any issues after revisions. I trust this person.

Most likely, I will listen to the opinion of "Frank S" and ensure safety by adding additional weights for balance.

I like this method - it's not as simple as the one I demonstrated, but it is 100% safer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nortonWheelBalanced.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	344.6 KB 
ID:	45578.

Source - http://www.nwnative.us/Grant/shop%20...ble/balancing/.
    Mazay, Thank you for finding that video. I did note the gentleman touched on a couple of very important points if someone were to use this method of balancing a grinding wheel first simply a light tap to the side of the wheel to check for cracks the ringing of the wheel as he stated should be a clear ringing sound the same as a quality bell being struck. a dull short duration sound would obviously indicate a crack also it can indicate an inconsistent or poor mix of the aggregate and bonding agent used to make the wheel. Gone are the days of quarrying wheels out of naturally formed stone like the ancients used to sharpen their tools.
    Another thing he mentioned but did not go into great detail was when he drilled the holes were the size depth and spacing of these holes or a reason why a seemingly near perfectly cylindrical wheel could be out of balance in the first place after dressing the face. This is caused largely by the impossibility of achieving a perfect mix oc bonding agent and aggregate slurry mix. the size and shapes of the aggregate in the mix will always cause smaller and larger voids to be filled by the bonding agent.
    One other thing he did not address is a wheel will change in balance as it is worn this is one of the reasons why companies who do nothing, but grinding will only use a wheel down to a certain diameter, another reason is efficiency once a wheel reaches a certain diameter it is no longer as efficient to use on that machine so "A" it may be relegated to a smaller machine or "B" sold to someone else, or "C" disposed of completely.
    With a balancing hub similar to the one you have shown the wheel can be rebalanced once it is worn down. this would be particularly useful for a stand or bench type grinder since those wheels are often used until they are quite worn.
    You posted a picture of a cup wheel I can relate to what could have been a disaster to something that happened with one of those on a grinder one time. A young apprentice I won't mention any names for reasons of self-incrimination, yes I will. I couldn't have been much more than 13 or 14 when I needed to sharpen a batch of drill bits at the blacksmith shop where I worked we had a huge belt driven arbor grinder, on 1 side is had a 3" wide 20" wheel on the other end of the shaft was a much smaller cupped wheel of about 12" in diameter with a 1-1/2" face. the face had a deep groove cut in it, very possibly caused by me. so instead to taking the time to dress it like I knew I should have I started grinding the bits on the tapered side of the cupped wheel, fortunately, I was stopped before I had done too much damage tot eh side of the wheel and it was explained to me what I could cause to happen. Guess what no more side wheel grinding from me to this day

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information