Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin's Armor medieval helmet - photos

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,791 Times in 9,904 Posts

Dolphin's Armor medieval helmet - photos

Dolphin's Armor helmet, part of a full plate armor made for the future King Henry II of France (1519-1559).

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...r_fullsize.jpg

Previously:

Engraved medieval armor - photos

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (May 1, 2020), carloski (May 24, 2022), Jon (May 2, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Apr 30, 2020), Quinton 357 (May 4, 2020)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    It should read Dauphin. Not Dolphin.

Cool helmut.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

hegefer (May 1, 2020), Okapi (May 1, 2020)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Looks like a target.

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    It should read Dauphin. Not Dolphin.

Cool helmut.
    I'm in accordance wit mwm, dolphin is a marine mammal, Dauphin is a nobility title as translated by Reverso : Title designating the presumptive heir to the crown France, who is generally the eldest son of the king.
    The successor planned by a head of state, an important figure. He is considered the dolphin of the party leader.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    First, thanks for the pic of a magnificent work of art. I am NOT into picking nits, but since "Dauphin" is French for Dolphin, there are actually several different ways to speak of the Future King. I am not expert enough in history or language to say which way might be correct. My suggestion is to enjoy the artistry shown here, and not worry too much about all the little details. ps: Again, in a strictly friendly and helpful way, I will point out that a "helmet" is a protective head covering device, and "helmut" is (I think) the spelling of the word that is a European Man's first name. Whatever, guys, please don't take offense. We are all here because we respect such amazing artistry as this piece. And, we respect each other and only offer Constructive Criticism. That's what friends do for friends. Thanks. Mike

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Gee, and here I thought that it was a covid19 tool.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Sorry Mike, it's not a detail, it's like you use the name "Jean" in french for an "jean", one is the title for a person, the other is a cloth, nothing as a criticism, just calling things by their right name, if you make a search with "dolphin" you never can found who is the "Dauphin" with a capital at the first letter in France and other royalties, there are two totally different things.
    Nothing to do too like with the spectacular work of steel "damasquinage" in french(for this helmet) which has nothing to do with the word "damas", the two are made for qualifying steel and are steel but are totally different in technique and result. ;-)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks Okapi

I have been subscribed to HMT.net for a while, but this was the first time I posted on the Forum. It is really nice to have somewhere to learn and discuss unusual things. It is like being part of a team of researchers, who enjoy learning, and helping others learn. I really appreciate people taking the time to help me know more about something like this helmet and its history. I think a person would have to spend a LOT of time and effort to find information like this anywhere else. It is just plain neat to be part of it. Thanks again. Mike

12. The Following User Says Thank You to homemademike For This Useful Post:

Okapi (May 2, 2020)

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Thanks for your commentary Mike, it's not always easy for me to read and write in english, and normally if nobody says that before I don't make a post to correct something like that, but when it's in my specialty, and when I understood what is written, just to explain what is a false use of a word is a minima for others members. ;-)
    In the past I wrote in a specialized monthly collectors paper, with internet all is dead now on paper and they are so many problems when you wrote something on the web that I just make that for collectors or museums actually.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The attention to detail and amount of time this had to take to make is very impressive. The craftsman was obviously very highly skilled.

Thread Information