Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Door-knocker from Stanley clawhammer

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Door-knocker from Stanley clawhammer

Door-knocker from Stanley clawhammer-55d3d3fc-3ca8-488e-b5ad-f4a55f30b305.jpg
    Door-knocker from Stanley clawhammer-f06710b9-df84-4410-965d-1e844bc3c936.jpg
    Door-knocker from Stanley clawhammer-ec8f2a47-5c80-4d31-9c9b-84ee4e1ea52f.jpg

Surely I am not the first person to use an old hammer as a door-knocker?
    The hammer has had a long life, but the poll is virtually unmarked on the face, with just one or two chips on the circumference; a lot of marks on the softer parts, but the claws are also in very good condition. There is a 6” narrow split down the handle, which is why it’s been rejected..
    I have made two others, similar, which I gave away. I’m keeping this for our entrance because I hade a slip when drilling for the pinion. It’s taken all day, and I have already made plaques for six more. Not sure I’ll bother.

Door-knocker from Stanley clawhammer-849e16b9-306c-48b5-8ff3-d77138297016.jpg
    I have intended this to complement the bell bracket I made a while back. The central part of which was made from a garden fork!

Here’s a verse to go with them

Ring if you like,
    Knock if you must.
    I only open
    To those whom I trust.

Door-knocker from Stanley clawhammer-7fac3e43-ee1c-4eb6-8a4e-b03c872e8559.jpg

Maybe you can make out that 4 of the rivets are made from chuck keys.

We live at 22. The number was forged from a 4 tine garden fork, too!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Philip Davies; Aug 1, 2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Add better pictures

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 1, 2019), ranald (Aug 1, 2019), Rangi (Aug 2, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 1, 2019), threesixesinarow (Aug 5, 2019), will52100 (Aug 1, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I like this Philip but would never waste one of my hammers on such like. Great knockers & I can see why some folk like yourself reuse/repurpose buggered ones!

My wife decided to throw out one of my Ausie wooden handled ones (before the shed was constructed) & fortunately one of my staff rescued it & a lump hammer before he took the bin to the refuse tip (she was unaware that I had a new handle and wedges for my much loved medium sized hammer)LOL.

Cheers

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Aug 2, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Door Knocker to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    ...My wife decided to throw out one of my Ausie wooden handled ones ... LOL. Cheers
    Seems I am spending more time these days keeping my aging collection of tools in good working order. New power cords, replacing a switch, or motor brushes, etc.

My wife often asks me, "Why you don't just get a new one ...", my response is always, "Should I abandon everything that gets a little old and replace it with a newer model?"

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Seems I am spending more time these days keeping my aging collection of tools in good working order. New power cords, replacing a switch, or motor brushes, etc.

My wife often asks me, "Why you don't just get a new one ...", my response is always, "Should I abandon everything that gets a little old and replace it with a newer model?"
    Some guys & gals trade in their old partners for newer models: LOL.Old tools with new cords etc will probably outlast the newer ones with razzle dazzle: I dont need erratic lasers etc but in saying that I do love soft start out of all the new gadgetry (3hp routers benefit or rather I do). My dads old Bosch 2 speed drill didn't require speed control if the operator controlled the trigger but a dremel like machine that has more variety of work can help many folk get the best, safest work from them esp with only occasional use.
    With power cords, the quality of the leed & plug can deliver for yonks : I love my old Makitas with long leeds eg Routers, belt sanders, palm sander, 1/2 sheet sander, roofing gun etc, & all had good leeds/plugs, & use over time meant brushes like oil in a car. Unfortunately some borrowers take less than desirable care of leeds & even some carrythe tool by it: don't lend is good advice from my late father. new plugs I've seen are rubbish.

cheers

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    This hammer came from a crate of about a hundred clawhammers, all “dirty-steel” scrap, individual value approximately 3p. All the hammers were in some way defective, although in this case a new handle could have been fitted. I collect and refurbish tools to send to Africa, but only the very best are sent. The source was given two hammer knockers, which I hope they were able to sell for a lot more than the scrap value. I certainly would rather replace a handle than buy a new hammer! My slogan is “Grace, Thrift & Graft” (copyright CCAM). Ranald, I admire your wife’s temerity in jettisoning your hammer! I think a lot of wives would like to do that! I am almost never asked to lend a tool, but if I am, I ask, “What can you lend me?”

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information