Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Dovetail knife

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools

Dovetail knife

As part for my dovetail making set I made as a present for my daughter, here is the dovetail knife :

I started with a piece of sweedish steel blade I have around, and I rough cut with an angle grinder an arrow shape.
    I took great attention to avoid ruining the temper, so I frequently blowed compressed air on to the piece while it was hold on the vise.
    Then I refined the shape on a high speed bench grinder, dipping the piece into water to cool it down.

I worked the dual bevels on the bench grinder, free hand.

And then I switched to the diamond stones, 400, 1000 and 2000 grits.

Finished the honing on the leather strop.

I turned a stylus shape handle out of a nice piece of curly ash (actually a broom handle, but by all means a nice piece of wood )
    I turned on the metal lathe a brass ferrule.

And here is the finished product :

Note that the ferrule is capped, and has a square hole, the size of te blade shaft. I wanted the blade to be supported by the ferrule. This may not be necessary, but it gives it a nice touch.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Christophe Mineau; Dec 29, 2021 at 09:47 AM.
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 30, 2021), Jon (Dec 30, 2021), mklotz (Dec 30, 2021), Paul Jones (Jan 1, 2022), Philip Davies (Dec 30, 2021), ranald (Jan 6, 2022), Tonyg (Dec 30, 2021)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Exquisite! And remarkable that an old broom handle should have such a beautiful grain. I have never seen that in ash. I think you are right to support the blade with a ferrule. Mine does not have one and short grain loosened the blade eventually.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Dec 30, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Christophe Mineau! We've added your Dovetail Knife to our Knife Making category,
    as well as to your builder page: Christophe Mineau's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Thanks Phil !
    To be honest, it's not an old broom, it's even a brand new one. One day I was in a gardening store and I saw this outdoor broom with stunning handle. I had no need of a broom but I purchased it right away, I think I could have bite if someone would have put a hand on it before me ...
    I always have a look at the tool handles, it's often the axes or pick handles that are made out of ash and sometimes have nice figured wood.
    Cheers !
    Christophe

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    You are most fortunate to find a wood handle of such character on a broom. I don't think I've ever seen a nice looking broom handle around here that wasn't being sold as art.

As for the knife itself, what a piece of art. Looks fantastic. I'm missing with respect to scale though, a scale (ruler) in one of the photos might help with overall size. The knife looks small, almost pen like. As such I expect to see some really fine dovetails made with this set.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Thanks Phil !
    To be honest, it's not an old broom, it's even a brand new one. One day I was in a gardening store and I saw this outdoor broom with stunning handle. I had no need of a broom but I purchased it right away, I think I could have bite if someone would have put a hand on it before me ...
    I always have a look at the tool handles, it's often the axes or pick handles that are made out of ash and sometimes have nice figured wood.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    I'm missing with respect to scale though, a scale (ruler) in one of the photos might help with overall size. The knife looks small, almost pen like.
    Thanks for the compliment Mr Wizard, I don't have the box anymore, but if I remember well, the box is around 240mm long.
    What I regret with the knife is the blade size, it could have been longer, but I am short in that piece of sweedish steel.
    Next time, I will do one for myself, probably longer.
    Cheers !
    Christophe

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Thanks Phil !
    I keep a stock of old handles. I used two today, on fullers I hope to use in the next few days. We refurbish tools for Africa. Nobody else wants to dispose of broken, surplus, or unwanted items. If I can realistically expect to pass them on to others, i keep them. I try not to hoard too much. Tools that could be used as weapons or for housebreaking, I destroy. The travellers call round at work to pick up scrap! So it’s easy for me to get rid of the rest. But it’s a long time since I bought a handle! Although if the tool handle has decorative grain, it’s usually too brittle for brooms, spades, axes. An old joiner I met at a Woodworking show 40 years ago had a marking knife made from a dining knife, bone handle. I copied him, but the one I posted on HMT has a machine hacksaw blade!
    Last edited by Philip Davies; Dec 31, 2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Supplementing.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I used to have a couple of drum fulls of handles and gave away when moving house recently. I shudder to think that my neighbour used them for kindling for his chicky babes (single ladies in their 80's and 90's) to whom he supplies firewood. They are too old/frail to cut kindling let alone wood. He used about 30 of 4 metre+ by 200 mm by 22mm Pine shelving for such. I really didn't want to know but I couldn't take everything with me. I could really use some solid shelving now. lol

Years ago, I was working on a farm and a teenager commented on an unusual small mattock handle I had. I told him I made it from Eucalypt/ Corymbia Sp. and he said I could have bought the whole new tool for $15. " Ah, but they are of cheap Chinese steel with a cruddy handle and I like my old 'proper quality' tools". He heard but not sure if he listened. I like the quality of old tools made in US, England and Australia etc.
    Cheers

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jan 7, 2022)

Thread Information