Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Down feed screw and hardware for Edelstaal Machinex5 Mill

Thanks

Down feed screw and hardware for Edelstaal Machinex5 Mill

I am continuing this from my introduction post.

I am in the process of making a down feed screw and hardware for Edelstaal Machinex5 Mill lathe combo.

I made the screw from 1/2" cold rolled steel. In the photo It is only half completed. I still have to turn down the diameter for the 7/16"x20 tpi left hand die up to the green mark on the left and then complete the rest of the threading. Also the partially completed nut for the feed screw is threaded on the rod. :

Down feed screw and hardware for Edelstaal Machinex5 Mill-dsc00118.jpg

The next photo shows the blank marked out and kind of set up in the 4 jaw chuck. The bigger hole is 1.5" an will be bored. The smaller 3/4" hole I think will be drilled as I don't think it can be centered on the chuck and bored without shortening the other end of the blank. I haven't decided yet which way I'm going to go yet. Then cut the slot for the clamping section and trim and file off excess stock:

Down feed screw and hardware for Edelstaal Machinex5 Mill-dsc00119.jpg

The third photo is a shot of the Edelstaal with the mill column and the milling attachment minus the spindle\drive. the attachment is being held up by a hunk of the bronze stock used to make the feed nut.
    all of the hardware I'm fabricating goes through the hole at the left of the attachment with the hunk of aluminum at the top which will clamp to the top of the column:

Down feed screw and hardware for Edelstaal Machinex5 Mill-dsc00121.jpg

It has taken me some time to get to this point as life has a way of intruding on our hobby plans.

I will update as this moves along though.... Hopefully sooner than later.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stomp10 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 28, 2016), kbalch (Feb 29, 2016), Paul Jones (Feb 29, 2016)

Thread Information