Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DRILL PRESS TABLE

Thanks

morsa's Tools

DRILL PRESS TABLE

At last, it was the turn for this project, which is useful not only to improve the efficiency of the drill press, but to achieve safe operations.

Since I changed the old drill press, almost a year ago, I knew I should also renew the drill press table, but there were always other projects to make. However, this waiting period (and planning) served to gather several ideas. I did what many of us do: in a virtual folder, I placed lots of pictures of drill press tables, both commercial and homemade models, found in digital magazines, forums, web sites, etc., dedicated to carpentry. Likewise, I created a board on Pinterest, (https://es.pinterest.com/morsa00/ww-drill-press-table/), which was a great help to concentrate and keep at hand links to related topics.

The table (45 x 30 cm.) was made with three layers, a top 1/4" melamine (leftover), a core formed by 1" slats pine (reuse), and a bottom layer 1/4" macocel (reuse). The two T-tracks serve to set the rear fence both as the material to work.

DRILL PRESS TABLE-1.jpg

DRILL PRESS TABLE-2.jpg

The bottom layer of macocel has a cut that fits snugly the drill metal table; a screw through the table (arrow) and a wing nut secures position of the auxiliary table.

DRILL PRESS TABLE-3.jpg

DRILL PRESS TABLE-4.jpg

The table-elevation crank needs an extension in order to surpass the table. It was made with an aluminum pipe (reuse) with a 17/32” I.D. in one end, and a 17/32” O.D. in the other end (arrow shows transition point). A support bracket, attached to the bottom of the table, stabilizes the extended handle.

DRILL PRESS TABLE-5.jpg

The top melamine layer has a hollow, 3 x 4 ", to place sacrifice inserts and sanding inserts.

DRILL PRESS TABLE-6.jpg

The rear fence features a homemade T-track and a stop block.

DRILL PRESS TABLE-9.jpg

At T-tracks in the table and the rear fence can be placed various implements for fixing material: hold down clamps, toggle clamps, etc. In Oversize material it is possible to use fast acting clamps in the edge of the table.

DRILL PRESS TABLE-7.jpg

DRILL PRESS TABLE-8.jpg

A leftover t-track placed at the bottom of the table serves to keep these clamps at hand.

DRILL PRESS TABLE-10.jpg

Regards.

morsa

PD. My thanks and appreciation to all the people who shared their work and ideas.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by morsa; Sep 12, 2016 at 06:25 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 13, 2016), Paul Jones (Sep 13, 2016), PJs (Sep 13, 2016)

Thanks

jotasierra's Tools
    :aplausos:Felicitaciones amigo Morsa, no solo por este trabajo sino por el aporte y el ahorro de bastante tiempo que sera copiar el modelito, hasta pronto, abrazos.

2000 Tool Plans

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Excellent build Morsa! Love the versatility of it with the tracks, fence and drop in plates for the drum sanders!! Your Pinterest bucket is Wow with ideas! Mine is still in the simpler state than this but will incorporate some of you ideas in the new one! Thanks for sharing this. ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Gracias, amigo jotasierra. Aunque hay una enorme variedad de modelos de mesas para taladro de banco, la esencia en todos ellos es la misma. Las medidas y características de la mesa que cada quien fabrique dependerán de los materiales de que se disponga y del tipo de trabajo predominante que se realiza. Ojalá te animes a copiar y a mejorar este modelo. Un abrazo.

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thank PJs. Indeed, the T-track adds versatility to the table; besides adjusting the fence, they offer many possibilities for fixing the work. Inserts with holes for drum sanders are useful if you don't have an oscillating sander.
    In addition to this Pinterest board (which I wanted to share in this forum) I have created other boards with ideas for other pending projects.
    I really hope the ideas shared here can be useful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 14, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks morsa! We've added your Drill Press Table to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: morsa's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks morsa! We've added your Drill Press Table Handle Extension to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: morsa's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information