Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Drill Press Table From Aluminum

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools

Drill Press Table From Aluminum

I make the majority of my jigs from either aluminum or acrylic / plastic, because I live in the tropical weather with 90% humidity, and making anything out of MDF or plywood wouldn't last a week without warping and changing the shape / dimensions. I designed a very easy to make Aluminum Drill Press Table, which is built with the side wings, to allow aluminum profile extrusion fence travel along the table's edges. 40 mm = 1.5 inches tall fence allows the chuck to go very near to the fence. Should I need a taller fence, it's very easy to slide any attachment into the slot of the aluminum extrusion profile. There were times when I needed to use very long drill press fence, and I simply swapped the extrusion for the longer one. I use the same model of the aluminum extrusion in many of my projects, which makes them modular, and lets me combine the jigs or components together seamlessly.
    For example my bar clamps use the same aluminum extrusions, so theoretically I could attach my bar clamps to my aluminum drill press table.

The bar clamps build video is here:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Nov 13, 2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Removing formatting for video embedding
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tiger carpenter For This Useful Post:

saguaro (Nov 14, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks tiger carpenter! We've added your Drill Press Table to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: tiger carpenter's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

tiger carpenter (Nov 13, 2020)

Thread Information