Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dry spray paint in 20 minutes.

Thanks

mr_modify1's Tools

Dry spray paint in 20 minutes.

Great for smaller pieces of metal.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr_modify1 For This Useful Post:

Floradawg (Dec 18, 2021), johncg (Dec 16, 2021), justintjm (Feb 24, 2022), nova_robotics (Dec 15, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I hate to be that guy, but I hear this repeated on jobsites all the time. The moisture isn't coming out of the metal. Craft guys will swear up and down there's water in steel, and that a torch makes it come out. There is no water in steel.

I have a cheapo digital heat gun. You can just set the temperature on a little LCD display on the back. It's pretty handy. I've used it to cure JB Weld and paint super fast many times. I'm sure the NACE inspector would have something to say about it though.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Dec 16, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Dec 19, 2021), sparky42 (Dec 15, 2021)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Yup...I think he was absent that day when the physics class studied humidity and condensation...and EVERY tin of paint, anywhere in the world has min & max temps specified, based on not just ambient temperature, but accepting that the substrate to be painted is at equilibrium with the ambient temp...good thing he's probably not guaranteeing his hobby work...

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but I hear this repeated on jobsites all the time. The moisture isn't coming out of the metal. Craft guys will swear up and down there's water in steel, and that a torch makes it come out. There is no water in steel.

I have a cheapo digital heat gun. You can just set the temperature on a little LCD display on the back. It's pretty handy. I've used it to cure JB Weld and paint super fast many times. I'm sure the NACE inspector would have something to say about it though.
    This is the first I've heard the notion that water is *in* the metal. Maybe he meant on, but misspoke.

I'll admit that it's pedantic, but my pet peeve is usage of the term "drying". Except water-based paints (tempura, gauche, etc.), paint doesn't dry - it cures. In most cases heat accelerates the chemical process.

A quartz heat lamp would give the same results as far as a faster curing time after painting, but I've used this pre-heat trick. It does work. Letting parts sit on a heater that's in use anyhow works a treat.

Neil

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    "Letting parts sit on a heater that's in use anyhow works a treat." bought back a memory of last century when a place I worked at had an old bar heater used to warm bits up before application of high heat wrinkle paint,(great stuff to cover up after fabrication without a lot of finishing work), and we used to heat the bits, remove the rack and apply paint from an aerosol can. We did this in the store room.
    One day apprentice decided to much hassle to move the rack so started spraying while the heater was on. Flames made him drop the can into the heater.
    The fire was put out but he had a LOT of cleaning up to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    "Letting parts sit on a heater that's in use anyhow works a treat." bought back a memory of last century when a place I worked at had an old bar heater used to warm bits up before application of high heat wrinkle paint,(great stuff to cover up after fabrication without a lot of finishing work), and we used to heat the bits, remove the rack and apply paint from an aerosol can. We did this in the store room.
    One day apprentice decided to much hassle to move the rack so started spraying while the heater was on. Flames made him drop the can into the heater.
    The fire was put out but he had a LOT of cleaning up to do.
    Sounds like the apprentice was not ready for unsupervised work.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 19, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    This is the first I've heard the notion that water is *in* the metal. Maybe he meant on, but misspoke.
    It's a very common myth all across Canada and the US with tradesmen. They call it "sweating out" the steel. They will swear up and down that there's water in steel, and that a torch makes the water come out. I've gotten into a number of arguments about this.

Also extremely common:

Gasses don't weigh anything. For example, a full bottle of argon will weigh the same as an empty one.

If you put an extension on a socket it will somehow make the torque "go away," and you need to increase the setting on your torque wrench. This one really gets me because guys overtorque bolts ALL THE TIME, sometimes to the point of snapping the heads off because the torque "disappears" inside the extension for some reason. If a bolt needs 100 lbs-ft of torque, you can be guaranteed that the tradesmen will tack on at least another 25-30 lbs-ft if they're using an extension. This isn't just common it's basically a rule among the trades. Drives me nuts.

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    It's a very common myth all across Canada and the US with tradesmen. They call it "sweating out" the steel. They will swear up and down that there's water in steel, and that a torch makes the water come out. I've gotten into a number of arguments about this.

I'd always assumed that sweating the steel was rhetorical, since it resembles sweat.

Neil

Thanks
    Are you using the term "trades" loosely.

Thanks

mr_modify1's Tools
    Yes you are correct it only looks like it is coming out of the metal but really is condensation. If the metal were damp it would be dry after the heating. Regardless of any water coming from anywhere this process really works to give you a dry paint in about 20 minutes.

Thread Information