Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Easy setup for MT2 morse taper making

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Good luck, there's digital copies out there. That's what I've got and I continue to check book stores and antique stores wherever we roam. The first 150pgs are full of great general info and how to's for measuring and making jigs.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Excerpts and pure thread hack. Unless the conclusion interests you too.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Man, you so hit the nail square with that TM51... bringing forward alternate facts is the constant burying of the wheel so these hacks can reinvent it. I also see major booboo's...other things in the videos which fly in the face of the original process.

It so reminds me of music where people idolize the present musician but ignore who they listened to. Looking up those originals taught me so much and in more than one instance made me realize these folks were pale imitations of the originals like Django and Howlin' Wolf.
    C-Bag, I couldn't possibly agree more; to either of your illustrations. Knowing where things originate is key to improvement. It also points out when to detour. It's beyond charitable to praise altered facts just because they are different.
    Example. Suppose the CD authors felt what they did was good; because they only sensed good results. Good, that issues were not analyzed correctly in the first place. So how could they know where they were, without realizing a starting point, maybe even effects of path between. Hello, Scientific Method?
    The televised series [last year] on creation of Harley Davidson, or the current "Genius " on Albert Einstein show these well. I can't attest historic accuracy, the screenplays hold decent parallels to the discussion. I can't see myself being able to conduct business as a full scale manufacturer, or establish scientific theories; yet their routes make perfect sense. Smooth flat roads, steep hills, landslides, deep canyons. And a permanent place in history.

Now, to update whomever is following along (and re-jangle friend Mr. C-Bag in particular; Willie Dixon. Bo Diddley. Chuck Berry. Bob Dylan). The musicians he mentioned fueled the 1960's ''British Invasion'' that we gobbled up. Musicians we were basically ignorant of, until creative foreign minds covered originals and fed us what we'd never heard before. Well, never heard cause we weren't listening. Diagrammed in another way, as to merely see doesn't equal observation.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    On the subject of "Machine Tool Reconditioning" , I agree it is easily the best information I have read on the subject. The last printing was in 1985, shortly after "Lindsay Publications" got a hold of the printings remainders and offered them up, it was expensive but worth it for the high quality info. and binding. Well worth hunting down in the used market.

Easy setup for MT2 morse taper making-1.jpgEasy setup for MT2 morse taper making-2.jpgEasy setup for MT2 morse taper making-3.jpg

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Digital downloads of Machine Tool Reconditioning are publicly available on various mainstream digital archive sites. Scribd, Archive.org, etc. I'm really not sure about its copyright status, and I'm not good at playing internet lawyer. Connelly passed away; looks like his estate renewed the copyright in 1982, but I can't tell if it falls under the 28-year limit of that first renewal period, which means it would have entered the public domain in 2010.

Example download from Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/MachineT...wardF.Connelly

I prefer to read off of paper, but physical copies of this book are prohibitively expensive.

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    I agree Jon , I prefer paper too. After the estate renewed the copyright they did the 1985 printing, I don't know if they renewed the copyright but that was the last printing. "Lindsay" sold out real quick. Its to bad he has shut his operation down, He was such a great source for this type of material.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    As I understand it, there's still an unsolved contrast problem with the human eye detecting text on digital screens, even in ideal lighting, even in the newest purpose-built ebook readers. If you ever try speed reading, and you read a few sections on paper, and then immediately try the same on digital, the lag is clearly noticeable. Paper is also still superior for rapidly paging through books to reference different sections. Of course the storage and transport advantages of ebook readers over physical books are wonderful.

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    Your explanation answers some of the discomfort I get from reading of the screen. I don,t mind my tablet for history and general science reading, my other interests, but for technical and workshop manuals nothing beats a paper copy, a lot of the material nowadays I can only get on line, but fortunately we also now have very versatile printers and printing off a copy for workshop use is real easy. I did a post on my site on printing off workshop manuals real quick.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos B For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 14, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Personally the only problem I have with the digital is the reproduction. It is very faint in areas and not legible. But that is exactly the same problem with my book version of Machinery Repairman 3-2. I've read more of Machine Tool Rebuilding because it's way easier for me to hold and read with my iPad than a 500+page book. I also find it easier to read because I can easily resize the print. My favorite tool for holding my iPad is once again a music inspired device by the Hercules stand company meant to hold the iPad for keyboard players. I attach it to the side table next to my place in the living room where I'd normally read.

I find Connelly's writing very understandable. Writing about machine repair is a little like dancing about architecture It could be very unwieldy but he does a good job. With this amount of info and the pertinent illustrations I find I'm much more likely to read a bit, look at the drawing and get it grokked before I plow on. So speed is not what I do. NFI, YMMW.

Thanks
    What are you asking for the book ?
    This is my 5 month old baby Nina

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    As I understand it, there's still an unsolved contrast problem with the human eye detecting text on digital screens, even in ideal lighting, even in the newest purpose-built ebook readers. If you ever try speed reading, and you read a few sections on paper, and then immediately try the same on digital, the lag is clearly noticeable. Paper is also still superior for rapidly paging through books to reference different sections. Of course the storage and transport advantages of ebook readers over physical books are wonderful.
    I fully understand the contrast problem with digital text. Being born dyslexic it took me years before I discovered quite by accident that I could read and understand paper printed material with the aid of colored cellophane through the years I was able to gradually train my mind to understand text without any additional aids Thar was until I got my first computer in 98 Alpha numerical charterers looked runny not sharp and crisp like I had learned to see paper printed text. special filtered lens in otherwise clear grind glasses helped. the advent of liquid crystal then later High definition was a major step for me without any filters, charterers no longer looked runny or since my eyes are getting much older and no longer focus as well as long as I remain about 40" away from the screen things look just fine however I require zooming in to produce larger text most of the time. when using the screen on my laptop but when I connect a 27" HDTY to it I can comfortably sit 40 to 45" away and not encounter eye strain
    If some of you guys who are getting older like I am you might find that a 27 to 32" TV for your monitor may be the ticket.
    If you are like me and Mell Gibson you know that you are dyslexic for life
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information