Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: EksoVest exoskeleton vest - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

EksoVest exoskeleton vest - video

Just announced that Ford Motor Company will begin using EksoVest exoskeleton vests for automotive assembly in 15 plants.

A fascinating twist on the "robots will take our jobs" theme - that instead of replacing a human worker with a robot, the human is augmented to become more robot-like.

What justifies the no-doubt significant cost of tools like EksoVest and our previously-discussed Human Hoist? Long-term cost of productivity from injury, and insurance claims. Turns out that coughing up even $10K or more for something like this is ultimately an extraordinary bargain.

More:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-to-help-.html
    https://eksobionics.com/eksoworks/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFV...3J0a0FoPviY35A

Previously: Human Hoist collapsible garage work chair

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

oldcaptainrusty (Aug 11, 2018), PJs (Aug 12, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 11, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Maybe 30 or 40 years ago there was something being developed along the lines of this contraption that was supposed to aid construction workers such as dry walkers and ceiling textures or painters,but it was some cable and spring thing that held your arms over head you had to over come the springs to lower your arms. I don't think it ever got into production.
    then maybe a decade ago the Military was closely watching the development of a full body exoskeleton which would enable a soldier to carry the ever increasing amount of gear they are being required to wear without adding more stress on their bodies. Not sure how well that has turned out.
    While I can see the merits of gear like this for certain tasks I also see the downside of it as well . While it will delay work related fatigue and relieve stress on the rotary cup at the same time muscles will begin to become dependent on the device or devices.
    Workers usually union slaves more than anyone else need to have diversified tasks to preform to maintain top physical condition not just a few jobs all being very similar in movements day in and day out for years on end.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 12, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    While I can see the merits of gear like this for certain tasks I also see the downside of it as well . While it will delay work related fatigue and relieve stress on the rotary cup at the same time muscles will begin to become dependent on the device or devices.
    Those were my thoughts also when I saw this, the benefits are obvious but compensating exercises should be a part of its use. There was a time when I could Artex ceilings all day without stress, the muscles will develop to suit the tasks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 12, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Know your limits and constantly strive to exceed them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to owen moore For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 12, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Inherently resting that it's pure mechanical and only weighs 10lbs. Would be interested in seeing the load distribution diagrams for the back and hips and various body positions...especially for someone with a bit of overhang.

I kind of agree with Olderdan and Frank about the exercise issues but also think that if these weren't a perfect fit for the person they probably will also have some flexibility/mobility issues and create stressors in other areas. Also both these workers were craning their necks, backs and legs to be able to see the fastener placements. The body always compensates.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Aug 12, 2018)

Thread Information