Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electro-etching Metal Using a Stick On Label

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Electro-etching Metal Using a Stick On Label

This video shows how I use salt water, a power supply, and a stick on label to mark aluminum and steel. This procedure should be done in a well-ventilated room or outside.

If you are interested, please see

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

123pugsy (Mar 25, 2019), 12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), asterix (Jul 22, 2021), aussie (Jun 4, 2019), baja (Mar 25, 2019), Barend (Jun 6, 2019), bobs409 (Apr 1, 2019), Crusty (Jun 8, 2019), Dimitris Polychronis (Mar 24, 2019), enginepaul1 (Jul 22, 2021), FEM2008 (Jul 21, 2021), Floradawg (Oct 6, 2023), H.L (Dec 26, 2023), high-side (Mar 30, 2019), HobieDave (Mar 5, 2020), Inner (Mar 25, 2019), Ken Koch (Mar 30, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Mar 25, 2019), PowerMk (Apr 1, 2019), RetiredFAE (Jul 21, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 26, 2019), Seedtick (Mar 25, 2019), Tonyg (Mar 26, 2019), tuchie (Oct 6, 2023), Tule (Mar 26, 2019), walgui (Apr 1, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Electro Etching Method to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Polarity

Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    This video shows how I use salt water, a power supply, and a stick on label to mark aluminum and steel. This procedure should be done in a well-ventilated room or outside.

If you are interested, please see

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick
    Hey Rick, I’ve tried doing this but I had my electrodes backwards. Would you say that that would make a difference or do you need to do it with them the way you did it. Also if you used a material specific electrolytes as your medium, do you think the results may be deeper or not?

Thanks,
    Mike S.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suttmike1 For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 5, 2019)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Suttmike1 View Post
    Hey Rick, I’ve tried doing this but I had my electrodes backwards. Would you say that that would make a difference or do you need to do it with them the way you did it. Also if you used a material specific electrolytes as your medium, do you think the results may be deeper or not?

Thanks,
    Mike S.
    Mike,

The polarity is critical. The target metal must be positive relative to the salt water soaked Q-tip.

I have not tried different electrolytes but would very interested to know of liquids that would cut deeper into aluminum and also steel.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    I do understand that in the commercial electric etching provides electrolytes for the base metal you are etching. I’ll get some and try it. It has to work better or why would they include them in the kits?? Thanks for the reply. I’ll switch my electrodes and see if that makes a difference for me. What voltage are you using and are you using a power supply or batteries?

Thanks,
    Michael

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Suttmike1 View Post
    I do understand that in the commercial electric etching provides electrolytes for the base metal you are etching. I’ll get some and try it. It has to work better or why would they include them in the kits?? Thanks for the reply. I’ll switch my electrodes and see if that makes a difference for me. What voltage are you using and are you using a power supply or batteries?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael,

I'm using a 20V at up to 2 amps power supply. Be very careful using batteries that can put out more than that. For example, do not use a car battery.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    I'm going to try this! I have a vinyl cutter so making templates is a breeze!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Sounds very promising. Please keep us posted.

Rick

Thanks

kess's Tools
    Hi rgsparber,

I have tried different ways for the making of electrode.
    A good one for me it was a piece of stainless steel rod a spring from pen a piece from cigarette filter and pvc tape.
    But not the best, so later I replaced the filter with a piece of felt, which is more stable and has much longer lifetime before its polymerization begins.

Electro-etching Metal Using a Stick On Label-electrode-s.jpg Electro-etching Metal Using a Stick On Label-felt.jpg Electro-etching Metal Using a Stick On Label-20160430_165226.jpg

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kess For This Useful Post:

enginepaul1 (Jul 22, 2021), high-side (Jun 5, 2019)

Thanks
    If you can source AC after etching with DC it will darken the metal. In order to achieve this you would just have to run some wires of the transformer you are using prior to the diodes in your power supply.

Thread Information