Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel

Hi All
    Following on from the post http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/e...-removal-67148 I have managed to successfully clean up an old garden trowel from my late mother’s garden which she used all the time. The following photos show the process in cleaning up the trowel which has now been painted and back in service. The trowel is very old and is well made so pleased to have recovered it and give it a new lease of life. The trowel was left in the solution for 15 hours the ratio of crystal to tap water was 1.5 table spoon to 1 Gallon.

Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel-img_1555.jpg Rusty garden trowel and soda crystals

Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel-img_1556.jpg Process working

Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel-img_1559.jpg Rust removed
    Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel-img_1560.jpg

Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel-img_1561.jpg Bucket waiting to be emptied

Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel-img_1562.jpg Anodes covered with unwanted rust from trowel

Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel-img_1563.jpg Anodes removed for cleaning

Electrolysis rust removal results using a garden trowel-img_1564.jpg All cleaned and stored ready for next rusty item.

Thank you for viewing and if you have items you are thinking of throwing due to rust have ago it could safe you a lot of money.

The Home Engineer.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Apr 4, 2018 at 03:35 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 4, 2018), Jon (Apr 4, 2018), Priemsy (Apr 15, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 25, 2019), Seedtick (Apr 16, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Worked out nicely.

Reminds me of the trick for storing garden tools for the winter: dip in some kind of oil, then dip in sand. Or the old hotrodders' trick for undercarriage protection: spray oil underneath your vehicle, then drive up and down a dirt road to coat it.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Apr 5, 2018), Frank S (Apr 4, 2018), HobieDave (Mar 21, 2020), Paul Jones (Apr 5, 2018), PJs (Apr 16, 2018), Priemsy (Apr 15, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 25, 2019), thehomeengineer (Apr 4, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have used washing powder was not happy with the results. Did you use Ac or Dc voltage

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Paul View Post
    I have used washing powder was not happy with the results. Did you use Ac or Dc voltage
    Hi
    After researching this subject washing powder does not work, it has to be soda crystals to create the electrolytic path between the anode and cathode. The supply is also important and needs to be DC. I use a 12V DC power supply. This was, then rigged up in a project box to keep everything together and allowed a little but more control with an additional on/off switch. I have since also put a digital volt/amp meter as well but this is not essential, as is the on/off switch. You can also use an older style battery charger I believe the new ones sometimes do not work.
    There is a lot of information on this subject and better-qualified people than myself to advise you on HMT on this topic. But, if I can help further please ask.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I had gotten so discouraged with the elect rust removal and spend way to much time on a project that did not work well. In most cases I went back to sand blasting.
    I will try the crystal method.
    Thanks

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Paul View Post
    I had gotten so discouraged with the elect rust removal and spend way to much time on a project that did not work well. In most cases I went back to sand blasting.
    I will try the crystal method.
    Thanks
    I left the trowel in the bath for 16 hours so shot blasting is quicker and the surface finish is uniform and gives good key for paint. I think this method is great for tools, that require miniimum surface finish change i.e. Morse taper tooling etc.
    Hope this helps your decision on which method to use in the future.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information