Having got the CNC bug after building a 3D printer i'm now automating everything.
My most recent Project was to convert my milling machine.
Having got to grips with GRBL, the Arduino and still having a stock pile of stepper motors and drivers left over from my plasma table build. I have now converted my milling machine.
I've always been proficient with Autocad and producing 3D drawings and always wanted to go the next stage of machining my own designs. There are some good guys here who have a machine shop "Complete Engineering" who have knocked out jobs for me in the past but with owning my own Milling machine I wanted to convert it so i could do my own work on it.
When I first looked at the project I was aware that the X and Y axis would be the easiest to convert and the Knee (Z Axis) would be the hard part due to the weight and complexity of driving it.
It actually turned out the X and Y axis were the hardest, X because of the self feed and Y because of the method the old guys had used to build the machine.
On the pedestal (Z axis) I removed the spring from the pillar drill feed to see how i could attach to the shaft to provide me the Z axis. This is something i strongly suggest others don't do, its like the most ferocious escape of a mad animal you will experience in your whole life. As it turned out i didn't even need to remove it - bugger. Anyways a method has been achieved for all axis and i'm pleased to say it works brilliantly.
Still need to fine tune for accuracy.
more pictures and updates to follow