Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Equipment trap key system - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Oct 30, 2020)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    That is a really Rube Goldberg-ian way of making sure equipment isn't run when somone is inside...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    That is a really Rube Goldberg-ian way of making sure equipment isn't run when somone is inside...
    It may well be Bruce, but I've witnessed an idiot supervisor remove an electricians lock out from a switchgear because he wanted to look good and have all of his machines running when his boss walked through. Never mind the reason for the lockout to be on the switchgear in the first place.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 31, 2020)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    It may well be Bruce, but I've witnessed an idiot supervisor remove an electricians lock out from a switchgear because he wanted to look good and have all of his machines running when his boss walked through. Never mind the reason for the lockout to be on the switchgear in the first place.
    Yikes! I take it back...it needs more keys, a little curvy slide with a steel ball and cage falling down a tall toothed pole at the end.

With the supervisor standing in for the little plastic mouse, of course.

Thanks
    Way back, I worked in safety consulting. Too many companies ignored proper lockout. Two accident investigations stand out in my memory. In the first, a young guy lost two hands in an instant setting up a metal press. In the second, two guys literally lost their heads in a crane accident

The other striking thing I learned during that time. If you ever read the preamble and correspondence behind OSHA rules, you'll find typically one of two reasons a certain rule was created: The first is because a number of people have died. The second, is a company might have an edge versus other companies, or have a monopoly on selling required goods or services if certain rules were implemented

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FEM2008 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 31, 2020)

Thanks
    Use to commonly see A/B lockout keys used on dual electric feeds to a single location. What hard is an A/B/C system with no labeling. Had to reverse engineer one of those!

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    One of my friends was the first Police officer, thus became the coroners 'officer', on the scene of a decap. The store manager had removed the interlocks and modified the limit switches so a 'lift-plate' scissor lift cycled continuously between the floors of a frozen food retail store. One of the Saturday lads slipped/tripped and got caught between the end of the lift and the floor, it tore his head off. He suffered PTSD and ended up unemployed, the black & white evidential photo's were bad enough.

Lockout and safety systems are too easily abused by 'get it done' & 'efficiency' idiots, in the power industry where big machinery, high pressure superheated steam and high voltage were the usual risks no-one on the staff dared to interfere. The refit contractors who did got beaten, like the one who almost killed me inside a boiler front by bypassing all the locked out CDA (connected a Nitrogen cylinder) and activating the burner carrier we'd just climbed across, our 3rd man on the outside beat him senseless, then broke his hands so he'd remember not to ever do it again...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information