Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.

Thanks

aametalmaster's Tools

Cool ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.

Here is my ER-40 collet chuck i made for my SB 10K lathe. Its just a scrapbox steel bar threaded to fit the spindle and then the other end is threaded for a nut to hold the collet. The inside is taper turned to the collet angles as well as the inside of the nut end. I don't have plans just lots of building pics. I have lots of room so if the inside ever wears out i can recut the taper and freshen it up. Been using it for about 6 years with zero problems. The factory ER nuts have a ring to pop the collet free from the body as they do get tight gripping the part. I use an aluminum knocker bar thru my spindle to bump it free. Any ???? just ask...Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-5-threading-body-nose-cap.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-4-trying-collet.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-3-inside-taper-cut.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-2-chuck-body-threaded-spindle.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-1-chuck-body.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aametalmaster For This Useful Post:

dmaciel (Feb 22, 2013), Home-PC (Feb 22, 2020), Jon (Feb 18, 2013), kbalch (Feb 18, 2013), Paul Jones (Nov 15, 2014)

Thanks

aametalmaster's Tools

Cool Few more pics.

Here are some more pics...Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-6-threaded-body-taper.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-7-boring-nose-hole-threading.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-8-nose-taper-cut-hole-bored.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-9-nose-threaded.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-10-collet-body-screwed-inside-nose.jpg  

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aametalmaster For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Feb 22, 2020)

Thanks

aametalmaster's Tools

Cool

Some more...Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-11-done-but-needs-shaping.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-12-after-shaping-suit.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-735b%5B1%5D.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-9201%5B1%5D.jpg   ER-40 collet chuck for metal lathe.-milling-block1.jpg  

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aametalmaster For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Feb 22, 2020), Paul Jones (Oct 21, 2014)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Thanks again aametalmaster! We put this one in our Lathes category, and of course on your homemade tools page: aametalmaster's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Feb 22, 2020)

Thread Information