Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Excavator saves deer - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (May 24, 2018), ben yeakey (Sep 26, 2018), Beserkleyboy (Sep 26, 2018), dubbby (Jan 26, 2021), gunsgt1863 (Jan 17, 2018), jeanalvitre (Jan 15, 2018), MeJasonT (Jan 15, 2018), Okapi (Sep 27, 2018), olderdan (Jan 14, 2018), Paul Jones (May 24, 2018), ranald (Oct 1, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 14, 2018), that_other_guy (Apr 25, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jan 14, 2018), Workshopshed (Jan 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Nice heartwarming GIF, great skills from the excavator operator. I liked the look of astonishment from the deer as it looked back.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 16, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The situation is clear, Rainwater creates sinkhole, deer wanders or slips in. Without webbed feet, zero chance surviving cold, exhaustion, drowning.
    Watching this, not a dry eye in the house. You have to appreciate the operators skill, manipulating 40? tons of equipment, developed usually knocking over structures, and the spot inside head or heart for creatures.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 16, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Got to wonder what is going through the deers mind. Was it resigned to death? Was it terrified of the huge monster that rumbled and growled above it, before said monster gently cradled it and lifted it to salvation? Does that sort of thing imprint on a young animal and will perhaps no longer be (so) scared of mans' machinery?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 12bolts For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 24, 2018), PJs (Jan 16, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Deer do not appear to be inherently afraid of anything man made, so long as it remains inanimate what they are leery of is smells sounds and sudden movement.
    in the case of this young animal it was clear to see in the video that it was exhausted. Maybe even resigned to death if they are aware. If you will note it did show some sign of a brief struggle just as the bucket began to engulf it. However since it was unable to smell anything about the bucket other than earth smells as soon as the bucket had completely surrounded the creature causing darkness to engulf it,it could no-longer trust its seance of sight to determine danger, this left only smell and hearing. the engine of the machine would have been so loud this wold have masked any slight movement sound the bucket may have made. The bucket would have smelled only of the mud that held it entrapped. As the bucket scooped up the mud surrounding it this might have startled it but since it was trapped and exhausted there was little it could do anyway. The masterful skill of the operator served to reduce further stress keeping it from panicking. I particularly liked how the operator slowly deposited the animal and earth in such a way as to allow the animal to extract itself even in its weakened state. Once freed it didn't take long for it to recover.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 24, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Addendum to previous post. I have several old trucks and other machinery stored in a field where deer frequently graze, particularly after I have mowed the high weeds exposing the tender grasses. The deer will graze right up to and around all of the equipment but if there is one machine that I have been working on recently and deposited my human scent or a chemical like oils grease or fuel they avoid coming near that item fer several days. There are a lot of city dwelling weekend hunters who come out and lease hunting rights from some of the local ranchers. Many wonder why the deer will not feed from their feeders. I had one ask me that very question. He said that he built the feeder and painted it with camo so it would blend into the surrounding area, and placed it near a known game trail but hadn't seen a deer all season. I almost laughed at the city dweller but contained myself and decided to offer an explanation without being too overly judgmental, well maybe just a little.
    First off I explained wild animals by in large do not see colors as you and I do the exception will be some bird of prey. Animals do see in the infrared spectrum and many things give off infrared rays. Particularly fresh paint.Next they can detect odors that we do not realize even exist. They will become accustomed to objects after a period of time, and depending on that object it can take a year or more. You may have noticed the game trail you interrupted through your negligence by placing your feeder right next to it has probably changed or is no longer even used. If it has only altered perhaps if you leave your feeder alone for a year or so and don't relocated it every weekend as you said you have done this past season they may become accustom to its being there particularly if the the paint finally cures to the point it does not emit odors and infrared rays, but even if not eventually they will become desensitized. When you refill it try to keep any vehicular traffic in the area t a minimum. Do not handle the feeder with your bare hands or with new gloves or gloves that have any chemicals on them try to keep activity around the area to a minimum. and maybe just maybe next season you can get your silly trophy if that is what you are after, since this is a 1 buck county.I do not harvest deer and for the most part the only hunting done on my place is for varmints and only those which can endanger livestock or pets or could spread disease, or could injure my wife or myself.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Sep 26, 2018), HobieDave (Mar 14, 2020), PJs (Jan 16, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 15, 2018)

Thanks

Kind Hearted Deer saver

Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    Got to wonder what is going through the deers mind. Was it resigned to death? Was it terrified of the huge monster that rumbled and growled above it, before said monster gently cradled it and lifted it to salvation? Does that sort of thing imprint on a young animal and will perhaps no longer be (so) scared of mans' machinery?
    This Machine operator is a Great Humanbeing, Thank you for what you did for a less fortunate animal who wouldn`t be here today if not for you !

Thanks
    Great skills and a fantastic reward at the end. Lovely to see some kind hearted people in action. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    OlderDan
    Lovely wee friend in your avatar....my guy could be a close cousin. Have you found a new one? Cheers
    Jim (and Bentley)Excavator saves deer - GIF-bentley-003resized.jpg

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Oct 11, 2018), ranald (May 17, 2021)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    ROV operator frees swordfish from underwater rig.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Sep 30, 2018), cognitdiss (Oct 10, 2021), PJs (Sep 29, 2018), ranald (Sep 28, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 28, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019), Seedtick (Sep 28, 2018)

Thread Information