Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expanding Mandrel for turning large tubes

Thanks

neilg4dbn's Tools

Expanding Mandrel for turning large tubes

Cutting a large thick-wall tube to make antenna support rings on my lathe was a big challenge. Southern Comfort and too much coffee resulted in an internal mandrel fixture that works quite well. I can now hold large heavy tube and machine the outside and both ends with ease.
    I can't claim any originality for this fixture. It's probably got a proper name but I don't know what to call it. "Expanding Tube Mandrel" will have to do.

Expanding Mandrel for turning large tubes-pxl_20211224_221429892-small.jpg Expanding Mandrel for turning large tubes-tube-fixture-v23a.jpg

I don't have a steady rest, but machining the outside and ends of a tube when using a steady rest means a lot of extra steps, and this thing can stay with the workpiece if I part off a thick ring then want to machine it before cutting another. Once the lathe is clear again, I can just pop the tube back on, complete with the mandrel still inside. Also, finding a big enough steady rest to fit 7+ inch tube on my Colchester 1800 would be amusing.

This is Part One of the video, second part to follow soon.

Now I've mentioned steady rests, I want one of those as well. Too many projects, too little time.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Dec 29, 2021 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Adjusting formatting

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to neilg4dbn For This Useful Post:

asterix (Dec 30, 2021), BuffaloJohn (Jan 2, 2022), Dimsa (Jan 6, 2022), DIYSwede (Dec 30, 2021), durrelltn (Dec 30, 2021), Home-PC (Dec 29, 2021), Jon (Dec 30, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Dec 30, 2021), nova_robotics (Dec 29, 2021), Ralphxyz (Dec 31, 2021), RetiredFAE (Dec 30, 2021), reysl1949 (Jan 1, 2022), Skun Knuckles (Dec 30, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Dec 29, 2021)

Thanks

Claudio HG's Tools
    This is a pretty good idea.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Claudio HG For This Useful Post:

neilg4dbn (Dec 31, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    As Frank S will say "That is thinking outside the sphere!". It certainly is. Concept of 'the box' actually has limited coordinates, whereas a sphere contains unlimited points of reference.

That said, I've run a lot of tube, most often from paper manufacturing and printing industry. It has to be supported at each end, for concentricity, lack of taper, and plain old safety. The go-to holding method(s) securing outboard end, always limited to a] false center, b] steady rest, c] bell center. Job requirements often relied on a tailstock mounted 4 jaw first, getting both ends centered up and turning a band for steady rest bearings to run. An interesting complication; some rollers have rubber bonded outside. Good luck spinning that in a steady rest! (Hint; tooled up clamp-on rings).

Thinking back how many times your mandrel would have offered a solution OUTSIDE those mentioned, without discounting some of those rollers were 10 and 12 feet long, several hundred pounds, one of a kind - no spares, late at night - no replacement material......or killing whole production line.

It's tough in job shops, when management can't see value in work-saving projects that can be used over and over.
    But 'We' know it, Shop Truths, Phrases, Tales; and Outright Lies
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Ooops. Accidental double post. Hello 'Select All-Delete'!

As consolation, your fixture has a name; it's called a Spider. Related version commonly used outboard the spindle end, supporting small material.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 29, 2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Tactical action on duplicate posts.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

neilg4dbn (Dec 31, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I Like it. I made a set of internal collets a long time ago to allow me to bore the Id and sometimes thread the ID of long hydraulic cylinder tubing on a relatively short lathe. To do this I used these ranging from 2 1/2" through 5"
    click on picture for clearer view the grub screws allowed for tightening to the ID of the tube while serving as an internal 4 jaw
    Expanding Mandrel for turning large tubes-70mm-tubing-collet.jpg
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Jan 1, 2022), DIYSwede (Dec 30, 2021), johncg (Dec 31, 2021), Jon (Dec 30, 2021), neilg4dbn (Dec 31, 2021), suther51 (Dec 30, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Dec 29, 2021)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    I can see that working quite well.

Thanks

neilg4dbn's Tools
    That makes sense, it's sort of like an inside-out spider. Thanks very much. I wondered if there was a name similar to Cat's Head.
    This is the three-screw spider I made to support mostly long hex bar through the headstock. It's got more holes now, so I can use four screws or three. Much easier to align round or square stock with four screws.

Expanding Mandrel for turning large tubes-lathe-spider2.jpg Expanding Mandrel for turning large tubes-lathe-spider4.jpg Expanding Mandrel for turning large tubes-lathe-spider6.jpg Expanding Mandrel for turning large tubes-lathe-spider5.jpg

Now I need to bore a two-inch hole in the outside wall of the shop and fit a bearing and spider to it so I can turn REALLY long workpieces through the headstock without any danger of whip!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neilg4dbn For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Jan 1, 2022), Jon (Jan 6, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Dec 31, 2021)

Thanks

neilg4dbn's Tools
    I like that grub screw expansion method, my smaller mandrels use a tapered shaft and nut to open up a sawn cylinder, but the grub screw method is almost like a Taperlok fitting, very neat and easy to adjust from the end.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilg4dbn For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 31, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Dec 31, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks neilg4dbn! We've added your 3-Screw Spider to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: neilg4dbn's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by neilg4dbn View Post
    I like that grub screw expansion method, my smaller mandrels use a tapered shaft and nut to open up a sawn cylinder, but the grub screw method is almost like a Taperlok fitting, very neat and easy to adjust from the end.
    The disadvantage to them were I had to make one for each ID hydraulic cylinder tube I machined. At the same time it proved to be nice to have so many sizes. We purchased our honed tubing from a supplier in Turkey in quantities of batch lots of 10 to 30 6 meter random lengths for each size at a time they provided honing inspection certs. to tolerances of -0/+.05 mm or less. so 1/4 turn of each screw went from slip in to fully locked in place and centered every time we had a dedicated lathe with a collet chuck and left either a 40 or 50 mm collet in it at all times
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 31, 2021)

Thread Information