Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Extended centre drill

Thanks

SA MAKER's Tools

Extended centre drill

Having just acquired a mill with a round column the challenge of using different length tools to center drill, drill and ream without moving the head of the machine became apparent. A useful tip I found on the internet was to position the head to suit the longest tool. Given that the quill stroke is only 100 mm. and that the reamer, and the drill are significantly longer than the standard center drill this may be not always be possible. I made an extended center drill by using a piece of 12mm BMS about 100 mm long. Centered and drilled a pilot hole 0.5 smaller than a center drill I had available using this I drilled the end of the shaft because there was not much material to remove the swarf was not a problem. The fit between the shaft and the center drill was surprisingly good. I then secured the center drill in place with locking compound. The performance has been very satisfactory when the drill fails, I will simply heat the end of the shaft with a torch to degrade the locking compound and reverse the drill.
    Extended centre drill-small-0560.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SA MAKER For This Useful Post:

Jon (Apr 1, 2019), Miloslav (Apr 1, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 2, 2019), Seedtick (Apr 1, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

steamingbill's Tools

Locking compound

Good idea ..... well done.

Am curious ...... is locking compound a specific product or does tha simply mean superglue or 2 part epoxy or loctite ?

Bill

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

SA MAKER's Tools
    Thanks Bill

The lockiong compound I refer to is similar to locktite a product called Pratlok I was wary about using brands still new to this. I have seen mention of using super glue in low stress aplications such as this so it may well work.

Regards
    Cliff

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks SA MAKER! We've added your Drill Extension to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: SA MAKER's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information