Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Extensive rebar lattice - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts

Extensive rebar lattice - GIF

Extensive rebar lattice.

Previously:

Bending rebar hairpins - GIF
    Rebar stirrup bender - GIF
    Cordless rebar tying tool - GIF
    Vertical rebar holders - GIF
    Rebar coupler - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Aug 17, 2022), nova_robotics (Aug 17, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I can see what looks like desert dunes far in the background, so I wonder is this might be a foundation for another tall building. The lack of very much excavation throws me though as mostly over there they like to place their foundations several meters below grade

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 608 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The lack of very much excavation throws me though as mostly over there they like to place their foundations several meters below grade
    I dunno. The tiny, tiny amount of light that's allowed to escape through that dense rebar cage looks white. I think they've already done at least one pour. The rebar cage that's visible is just the next lift. There are people walking in the gaps so it looks like they're only going about 3' at a time. This could be the second/third/tenth lift.

What gets me is not just the density of steel, but the geometry. I've never seen triangular rebar cages before. That would become a geometry problem for the workers on site. The engineers would have to have a very compelling reason to do this as the cost would be incredible. This foundation is designed for some pretty extreme service. It would have to be a gigantic vibratory crusher or something equally brutal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I am curious to know how long it took them to assemble that part we can see.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I dunno. The tiny, tiny amount of light that's allowed to escape through that dense rebar cage looks white. I think they've already done at least one pour. The rebar cage that's visible is just the next lift. There are people walking in the gaps so it looks like they're only going about 3' at a time. This could be the second/third/tenth lift.

What gets me is not just the density of steel, but the geometry. I've never seen triangular rebar cages before. That would become a geometry problem for the workers on site. The engineers would have to have a very compelling reason to do this as the cost would be incredible. This foundation is designed for some pretty extreme service. It would have to be a gigantic vibratory crusher or something equally brutal.
    Agreed we don't know if this could be the first or 10th pour but it is almost a sure bet that this is not laid out to be the final pour the density of the cross and diagonally biased caging leaves a lot of large voids. The pattern suggests to me they are planning on there being a lot of torsional stresses introduced from the winds as a structure grows in height. The pattern design suggests there will be a lot more going on in whatever is eventually placed on the slab than simple worry about vertical loading

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information