Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Become a founding member: 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Farmers jailbreaking John Deere tractors to repair them - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,597 Times in 7,603 Posts
    Looks like John Deere is back in the hot seat for breaking a promise to make tractor repair tools and software available to the public.

Article in Vice: https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7m8...repair-it-lied

Full report is here: https://uspirg.org/sites/pirg/files/...dlights_V3.pdf

173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (02-23-2021), nova_robotics (02-23-2021), PauloOliveira (02-24-2021), rlm98253 (02-23-2021)

Thanks
    I think that ALL manufactures should be forced to upload ALL workshop manuals to the interweb. Too often dealers retain workshop manuals that should be included with machinery, often they will refuse to identify their suppliers when an issue arises that they are not prepared to address or when they have switched to another supplier leaving previous customers with no recourse to information/parts. Many dealers of all kinds of machinery will also refuse to even order workshop manuals/parts manuals or they will demand exorbitant prices for such items.
    Some manufactures even prosecute anyone who uploads manuals for their product. This can be avoided if you are aware before purchase but is still of no use to small repair services without factory affiliation.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (02-23-2021), rlm98253 (02-23-2021), will52100 (02-23-2021)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Much of today's vehicles we all drive are heavily dependent upon multiple computers which require proper diagnosis. I have a 10 year old GMC that has been very reliable and a 56 F100 that I can completely take care of. I dread the day I have to purchase a later model vehicle.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Our company purchased a $2.5 million dollar printing press (nearly 15 years ago). I immediately went looking for the manuals to set up the PMs. I contacted the mfg and was told the manuals (15 of them) would cost us and additional $5000 in print or $2000 digital. After a very convincing discussion with one of their "higher-ups" we decided that everyone in our industry didn't have to know they'd tried to bilk that extra money out of us for something that should have come with the press! They threw in the digital copy "for free"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

marksbug (02-24-2021), NortonDommi (02-27-2021)

Los Gatos, California, USA & Goryachy Klyuch, Krasnodar Krai, Russia
    Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickieDickie View Post
    Much of today's vehicles we all drive are heavily dependent upon multiple computers which require proper diagnosis. I have a 10 year old GMC that has been very reliable and a 56 F100 that I can completely take care of. I dread the day I have to purchase a later model vehicle.
    One of the things I look forward to is our new car will be a Lada. Less of the high-tech everything that Western cars. Still has some, can even order it with built-in cellular data and phone. I won't be getting that model, don't need BT, WiFi, or iThing.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    In my opinion, the only real improvement to the 4 cycle gas engine was electronic points.
    I had a 1987 Chevy Sprint with a natural aspirating carburetor, it got over 57MPG (3cyl 1 liter). It did have electronic points. The next model was a 1998 Chevy Metro with throttle body fuel injection. Fuel economy was 40MPG (and CA emission compliance). They did add a bit of steel weight to improve crash safety.
    I understand that on larger V8 engines used on trucks there was an improvement of fuel economy with electronic controls.

Thanks
    100% with you on electronic distributors or add on electronic switching. 2nd would be variable fuel pressure regulators ala Cagill. I have seen some amazing results with these including some I didn't believe until shown proof. One such was I fitted one to a taxi whose owner I knew as a means to save him a few bucks while he saved for an LPG conversion,(which I had talked him into),he came back a month later with fuel saving percentages that I couldn't accept until he showed me his log book. Turns out that during Winter he sat around waiting for fares with the engine idling and most of his Winter driving was inner city. These are for carburettored engines only with no computers stuffing up tuning.

173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (03-01-2021)

Thread Information