Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Finding dropped tools

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Finding dropped tools

I recently dropped my favorite Swiss Army knife while fumbling about in the flower beds. It took me a while to find it since it blended in well with the leaves and litter on the ground. This led me to remember something I had read a long time ago...

If you're stranded/lost in the woods/jungle and you're lucky enough to have essential tools like a knife, compass, flashlight, etc. with you, tie a bright strip of cloth to each one so that if you drop it, it will be easy to locate it. Not doing this might cost you your life.

A quick search on Amazon showed that they now sell paracord in neon yellow/green color...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You're not likely to find any leaf litter colored like that. Your tool should stand out like a neon light. Here's what the knife looks like now...

Finding dropped tools-p1010025.jpg

I'm still wondering why anyone would want to buy a camo knife. This one...

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Knife...3582622&sr=8-3

even has the knife blade camouflaged thus guaranteeing that even if you drop it open, it will still disappear in the litter.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Nov 13, 2019), Little Rabbit (Nov 17, 2019), Paul Jones (Nov 12, 2019), rgsparber (Nov 12, 2019), Tule (Nov 14, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    > I'm still wondering why anyone would want to buy a camo knife.

My EDC has a black rubber grip, and if Gerber made it in day-glo orange or green I'd buy it for sure. It would be awesome when I drop it under my desk or workbench.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    My favorite carry tool is my Swiss Army knife. (Tinkerer model) I also carry a "Lil Squirt" Leatherman tool. Literally hundreds of minor repairs have been done using those two. When I forget to pic-up one out of my basket in the morning I feel incomplete.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The word is tact-cool as to why someone would buy a camo knife. For the most part they are pink handed city dwellers. Part of the same reason why there is such a hub-bub about the scary looking rifles if they possess all of the latest tactical looking composite furniture with every item of mostly useless accessories attached every where a picaninny rail or weaver loops can possibly be mounted then it must be a super lethal weapon right?
    I carry a Gerber Strata multi tool and a Smith & Wesson extreme ops folding pocket knife everywhere I go not because they are cool but because I got both of them at a pawn shop for less than 10 bucks and they just plain do the job except finding the carbide cutter blades for the wire cutters on the Gerber is a royal pain Gerber can't decide to stick with one type of insert or another and their web site is a joke
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I bought a couple of camo ratchet straps, used them once, set them down somewhere and I've been looking for them ever since.
    Last edited by Crusty; Nov 13, 2019 at 06:40 AM.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieL View Post
    My favorite carry tool is my Swiss Army knife. (Tinkerer model) I also carry a "Lil Squirt" Leatherman tool. Literally hundreds of minor repairs have been done using those two. When I forget to pic-up one out of my basket in the morning I feel incomplete.
    The Tinkerer is a good knife and, thankfully, has the corkscrew replaced with a far more useful Phillips screwdriver. (I've never yet encountered a wine bottle that needed opening in the field.)

The knife shown in the picture is the Fieldmaster...

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw...%2C199&sr=8-12

which adds scissors and a saw blade to the Tinkerer's complement of tools. My primary use of the saw is to one-stroke sever tough weed stems that won't yield so easily to a plain blade.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    I solved this problem years ago for my key ring by buying a heavy duty green strap for the ring. It is almost an inch wide and maybe 6” long, and was bright green originally. Kinda bulky in the pocket but finding those keys is 100 times easier with that strap on the ring. I keep a little Swiss Army knife on the ring also.

after having this combo for a bit I’ve realized one thing, those Swiss Army guts aren’t that smart, they put the eyelet on the wrong end of the knife!

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    after having this combo for a bit I’ve realized one thing, those Swiss Army guts aren’t that smart, they put the eyelet on the wrong end of the knife!
    Assuming you mean the keychain ring, it's on the end opposite the hinge for the main blade on all the SAKs I own. That seems like the correct place to me; the big blade opens away from the ring.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information