Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Finishing the Working End of a Plastic Woven Line

Thanks

Baddog's Tools
    Finishing the Working End of a Plastic Woven Line-pxl_20200914_223323336.jpg
    This shows about how I hold it before applying a lighter. Just apply flame until you see it liquify/blacken, then pull melted portion into/through the cloth while sort of rolling your fingers holding the cloth. The end shown was created just this way. The tiny point could be clipped, but such narrowed "points" can be useful in their own right. And if you don't want to draw out the point, you just don't roll/pinch as much as it pulls through. I've made ends like that where it was more ball like, but the largest diameter was pretty much the cord diameter. And the "roll it" portion isn't really required unless really picky about the outcome. Pulling through the rag (I've used paper towel too) acts somewhat like a die, and even without undue effort it comes out good for 99% of my uses.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Baddog For This Useful Post:

Altair (Sep 19, 2020), Frank S (Sep 14, 2020), Jon (Sep 15, 2020), Paul Jones (Sep 20, 2020), rgsparber (Sep 14, 2020), Scotty12 (Sep 20, 2020), Sleykin (Apr 15, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Baddog,

I tried your approach twice and got consistent, great results. I did clip the point because it was sharp. Your picture doesn't seem to show any burn marks but I did have them. I suspect I left the flame on the line a little too long.

Thanks!

Rick

2000 Tool Plans
    Rick

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 20, 2020)

Thanks

Baddog's Tools
    Glad it worked for you. And yes, if you don't want a black end, you just stop the heat as soon as you see it liquefy and pull it through the cloth. But black ends can be useful for spotting the end when coiled/stored.

That one is exactly as it was created. If I were to cut the pointy part off, it would still leave a solid end that is nice and rounded. If you don't want it pointy, you can pull it just into the cloth, and then open the cloth without pulling it through. It's not completely predictable and varies by how thick/hot and how far in you pull it through, and how tightly you hold the cloth around it, though generally works well enough.
    Last edited by Baddog; Sep 15, 2020 at 10:58 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Baddog For This Useful Post:

jackhoying (Sep 20, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts

Thanks Baddog! We've added your Line End Finishing Technique to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Baddog's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Pretty much how I make my boot laces from Paracord.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information