Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Fixing a Broken Tap - HSS Welding

Thanks

GBWM's Tools

Fixing a Broken Tap - HSS Welding

Hello.
    This time I'd like to share with you a short video about fixing a broken tap. I wouldn't recommend doing this "professional" applications but if you need to have a working tap ASAP - this little trick might be helpfull.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GBWM For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Apr 5, 2022), nova_robotics (Apr 4, 2022), sossol (Apr 4, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I'm impressed with and respect the workmanship. I appreciate the effort. But I don't think I'll be trying that any time soon. That's a recipe for a scrapped part.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member TheElderBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    In the time it took to fix that tap, you could have earned more than enough money to replace it and. then some. I guess it's a nice theoretical exercise but in practice, as AvE says, they make them in factories every day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheElderBrother For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Apr 10, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Definitely a Sunday middle of a public holiday task but well done. Nice heavy duty tap wrench too, did you make it?

Thanks

GBWM's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I'm impressed with and respect the workmanship. I appreciate the effort. But I don't think I'll be trying that any time soon. That's a recipe for a scrapped part.
    That was some kind of a test and the fixed tap passed it. But I wouldn't use it on a expensive part

Quote Originally Posted by TheElderBrother View Post
    In the time it took to fix that tap, you could have earned more than enough money to replace it and. then some. I guess it's a nice theoretical exercise but in practice, as AvE says, they make them in factories every day.
    You're absolutely right. Honestly I decided to do it just for fun and I was surprised it was able to actually tap a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Definitely a Sunday middle of a public holiday task but well done. Nice heavy duty tap wrench too, did you make it?
    This is my grandad's tap wrench . Probably it wasn't made by hand though.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    I can think of situation where I'd try it. Hunkered down in my bunker at an undisclosed location after the balloon has gone up and the warheads down, for example. No Amazon Prime deliveries then. Grainger and McMaster-Carr probably won't be sending stuff UPS then, either. Though it would be much easier to step up or down one tap size, depending on location and strength needed. Like no room at all, must have the strength, and it's the very last tap in the world...

Bill <---- who has been thinking about TEOTWAWKI situations since he was 10 years old. And is still not adequately prepared for them.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Apr 5, 2022), nova_robotics (Apr 5, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    been thinking about TEOTWAWKI situations
    I just learned a term. People probably think I'm a prepper, but really I'm just an anti-social hermit.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    I just learned a term. People probably think I'm a prepper, but really I'm just an anti-social hermit.
    My 2nd stepfather was an ordained minister who thought that Armageddon was imminent in 1965. Used this as his handbook: https://www.amazon.com/Get-thee-into.../dp/B0007G2NXY He was training my little brother and me to be his private army. Former Navy UDT, among other things. One of the things we noticed, having a grandma that was Mormon, was that he wasn't storing food or other necessities. Despite the fact we lived in earthquake country, and that wildfires also happened there fairly regularly. He said we don't need to store food. The Mormons are storing it for us. We were pretty sure that wasn't going to work out as well as he though, knowing our grandma. She was a newly-wed during the Great Depression. Was cooking in a logging camp when my grandpa met her. And I learned how to use a .45 Automatic because of him, at age 12. I knew where he kept his, and he wasn't going to beat up my mom again if I was there.

I'm not particularly antisocial. And mom was a single parent waitress much of our childhood, when she wasn't trying to find us another dad, so we knew that you didn't always have money, and it could get hungry out sometimes. So it makes sense to stash a little extra when you can. Grandma could grow food, but so far I've been unable to keep desirable plants alive, though weeds seem to flourish around me. Guess I may be of Cain's blood.

Bill

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Apr 5, 2022)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    I’d try super glue, the one drop holds up an elephant, one drop holds a ton, type. Now I don’t seriously think it would work, but I didn’t think your welding would work either, so what do I know. Hand taps are not designed to be driven by power, and especially not a hand held electric drill, that’s why it broke, but I think you know that already. Well done for trying, and making this work.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information