Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: flashlight bore cleaning rod

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

flashlight bore cleaning rod

OK it can be used for a lot more thing than that, but a friend brought his 6 "D" cell flashlight with duracell batteries in it and naturally they had leaked 3 of them had to be dug out in pieces. This left the bore badly corroded. bad enough that a steel bristle bore brush didn't get everything out
    So I turned 1 end of a 7/8" 1018 round bar down enough to fit in the chuck on my drill press then set my band saw up right and placed the made from scrap table on it then made 2 cuts in the other end of the rod to form a slot wide enough to place 4 layers of 1" wide 180 grit cloth in itflashlight bore cleaning rod-20170528_152810aa.jpg
    Before
    flashlight bore cleaning rod-20170528_155041aa.jpg
    After
    flashlight bore cleaning rod-20170528_160008aa.jpg
    mounted in the drill press
    flashlight bore cleaning rod-20170528_160331aa.jpg
    I just left the drill press at the speed setting already on it, way to much drama to change RPM for a project like this
    I just held the flashlight body by hand and moved it up and down

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (May 31, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Bore Cleaning Rod to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I happened to notice that the last few expensive flashlights I bought all had Energizer (the pink bunny) batteries, not Duracell (the copper top).

Reading a bit on the web seems to indicate that Duracell are noted for leaking and Energizer are far less prone to this. Having lost several Maglites to leaking Duracells, I've now switched over and use Energizer exclusively.

Time will tell if I notice any difference but I know it can't be any worse than the Duracells.

In fact, Energizer guarantees to repair or replace any device damaged by leakage from their batteries. Full text here...

http://www.energizer.com/about-batte...attery-leakage
    Last edited by mklotz; May 30, 2017 at 03:03 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    My problem with flashlights is I hardly ever need one. It is those times when I do need one I need it right now and I want it to function as it should I don't want to go fumbling around in search of fresh batteries only to find that the dead ones in the flashlight have leaked and probably ruined the whole thing so I keep at least 1 flashlight stored above the fridge without batteries in it and in a lower drawer in the fridge I keep a supply of batteries in most sizes that I use.
    I do not know this as a fact but somewhere I had read new batteries would last indefinite if kept cold but never frozen, because cold slowed the chemical action process inside the cells. I also keep a package of glow sticks in the fridge drawer as well. I like the one time use ones that you snap an internal vial and shake

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    For my two cameras that use AA batteries, I use Eneloop batteries. These are rechargeable NIMH batteries with an extremely low self-discharge rate. They can sit unused for months and still be ready to do their job when called upon. Their discharge rate is so low that they can be shipped charged from the factory and are ready to use without recharging when received by the consumer. Highly recommended.

You can read the full story here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop

and, no, I have no interest in the product other than being a satisfied user.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Yes I like the rechargeable s I have tried the larger C & D size forget what the brand was had a green stripe on them but again they always seemed to be dead when I needed them. I have a couple of those plug in the wall flashlights that just stay plugged in the 120v receptacle all the time
    The problem is when I need a flashlight really bad I am never at home I carry a corded light in my truck that can either be plugged into the lighter socket or clipped to a battery terminal they'er handy but bulky and have a limited range you can use them (length of cord) and all that.
    I'd like to find another self generating flashlight like the one I had in Kuwait. Again it was another of those trade show giveaways . You can buy those palm squeeze ones on Amason and Ebay but this one was built and shaped much like a mag light indestructible just shake it a few times and have light for an hour ran on capacitors and a liner generator

Thanks
    I had Duracell replace a Maglite due to leaking D cells, about 4 years ago.
    They have a similar policy as Energizer.
    It ruined the light, but I still have it, as I was hoping air would learn about some chemical that would dissolve the
    corrosion. I never did, BUT I may well try this mechanical reaming technique!
    Ricklesss

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricklesss View Post
    I had Duracell replace a Maglite due to leaking D cells, about 4 years ago.
    They have a similar policy as Energizer.
    It ruined the light, but I still have it, as I was hoping air would learn about some chemical that would dissolve the
    corrosion. I never did, BUT I may well try this mechanical reaming technique!
    Ricklesss
    They're alkaline batteries so acids are the best thing to use to remove battery leak crud. Vinegar is safe and easily available. For something a bit stronger citric acid is available online in a convenient powder form. Still safe and can be dumped down the drain without dissolving your plumbing.

https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Citr...ds=citric+acid
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    mklotz,
    Thanks for that little tidbit of info!
    I actually did think of using vinegar, "the wonder solution", but didn't.
    However!
    I recently bought a small bag of citric acid powder, and use it all the time for removing rust on steel.
    It works miraculously well! I heat it up a little, not sure that's necessary however.
    I WILL try it in the maglite and report back!
    Rickless

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricklesss View Post
    mklotz,
    Thanks for that little tidbit of info!
    I actually did think of using vinegar, "the wonder solution", but didn't.
    However!
    I recently bought a small bag of citric acid powder, and use it all the time for removing rust on steel.
    It works miraculously well! I heat it up a little, not sure that's necessary however.
    I WILL try it in the maglite and report back!
    Rickless
    Yes, I keep citric acid on hand for exactly the same reason. It's also useful as a pickling solution when silver soldering.

Folks who don't want to order it over the web can find it at local stores that carry home canning supplies.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information