Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Float Lock Vise

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Thanks for that link Bruce, Tubal Cain has long been one of my favorites from my teens as a major contributor to the Model Engineer magazine but did not know he was Mr Pete, I recognized his distinctive voice immediately.
    He is NOT Tubal Cain. He has cheekily used (and taken advantage of) the name that was ORIGINALLY used by a British model engineer, Tom Walshaw. Tom contributed many article for Model Engineer Magazine (and possibly Model Engineers Workshop) using the pseudonym Tubal Cain. Mt Pete's use of the name may have deceived others into thinking he is the "real" Tubal Cain.

Tom Walshaw (aka Tubal Cain) was a leader in his field and he wrote numbers books on metalwork.

In his intros his "Hello Tubal Cain here..." is not true.

See this reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Sanders For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Mar 2, 2020), Jon (Aug 11, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    While familiar with the few good youtube 'video machinists/ engineers', I'm not a subscriber.
    When this detail appeared, went looking for "Tubal Cain". It appears Walshaw's use is first alright; an identity-moniker chosen and modified from Tubalcain, the biblical metal worker. Not different than had Thor or Vulcan been used, just a bit less imposing.
    With Mr. Walshaw's passing in 1998, it's not likely he fielded any content for youtube.

Thanks once again to Wikipedia. Another reminder to a stand-off with a sociology professor, that it couldn't be cited reference material for compositions like term papers. However, the text he authored [thereby collecting revenue] was.
    Any care to guess who won?

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Sanders View Post
    He is NOT Tubal Cain. He has cheekily used (and taken advantage of) the name that was ORIGINALLY used by a British model engineer, Tom Walshaw. Tom contributed many article for Model Engineer Magazine (and possibly Model Engineers Workshop) using the pseudonym Tubal Cain. Mt Pete's use of the name may have deceived others into thinking he is the "real" Tubal Cain.

Tom Walshaw (aka Tubal Cain) was a leader in his field and he wrote numbers books on metalwork.

In his intros his "Hello Tubal Cain here..." is not true.

See this reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw

Thank you for the clarification. I bought numerous books of his on the workshop practice series for my son and they definately are in a British context. I also made the same error in assuming Mr Pete and Tubal Cain were the same individual.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Why is the threaded rod and the other rod so long? They allow the vice to travel to well outside of the drill table. What am I missing?

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    I think it's to accommodate larger workpieces; the longer screw and rod will let the clamp hold something that hangs off the table (within reason) yet still clamp it securely to the table.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information