Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flying road debris punches through headlight - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Installation is a bit of a PITA, since you need a connection to a circuit that is hot when the ignition is on, and you have to run the cables where they're out of the way as much as possible. Under the headliner and such is the usual way.
    I've installed a dash cam on 6 cars now (I think?). Every single one has had an "ignition-hot" wire that runs to the dome light right by the rear view mirror. I think because of cars with power sunroofs even if you don't have that option the wire generally exists. Just splice in right there and you only have to run about 8" of wire. It's perfect.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXsparky View Post
    Where do you think all the crazy Russian winter driving videos on youtube come from?

Many people have dash cams in corrupt countries for self protection. As shown by WmRMeyers, they can save you from being accused of breaking the law.
    We don't need corruption; we have insurance companies who hire lawyers and pay lobbyist. Add in the lack of driver attention these days, which are a few reasons I have given some serious thought to a system. I doubt anything facing forward only would be of much value to me though. But something similar to the Ford system would be nice.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Wow, all the discussion on this turned to cameras and my first thought was what I could use that piece of angle iron for.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to baja For This Useful Post:

WmRMeyers (Jan 29, 2023)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by baja View Post
    Wow, all the discussion on this turned to cameras and my first thought was what I could use that piece of angle iron for.
    Me too! But I did find a few other things to talk about... Gotta save my pennies for some more and larger chunks of metal!

Bill

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXsparky View Post
    Where do you think all the crazy Russian winter driving videos on youtube come from?

Many people have dash cams in corrupt countries for self protection. As shown by WmRMeyers, they can save you from being accused of breaking the law.
    Here in the UK the Police now ask for dash cam recording evidence for all sorts of crimes, as well as having upload sites for reporting dangerous driving, many of us record as the favourite 'crash for cash' was to have the criminal swerve in front then stand on the brakes, often with the brake lights disconnected, one gang when finally caught on camera were estimated to have caused well over a million pounds worth of insurance claims! I also ride with cam's on the bikes and helmet, it doesn't stop the stupid, often mobile distracted, but it does prove who was at fault if you can't avoid the situation!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information