Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Forging crankshafts GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

Forging crankshafts GIF

Forging crankshafts GIF. Anyone know more about this process? Are the crankshafts being press forged, or just heated and then pressed? Is that considered press forging? More importantly, when he uses the tongs to flip over the crankshaft, is anyone else thinking "rack of ribs"?

Previously: turning a giant crankshaft

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Sep 7, 2020 at 12:53 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Apr 20, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Jun 19, 2017), richardcrane (Jun 19, 2017), Seedtick (Jun 19, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Aug 11, 2018), Trojan Horse (Jun 21, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Jon just like forged steel wrenches the crankshafts start out as nothing more than a billet of metal its composition depending on manufacture's specs which can be simple cast iron to an exotic alloy, in each stage of the process the molecules are being compressed closer and closer together until their density is many times that of the original billet. The tighter the molecules are compacted the stronger the end product.
    There are sometimes several different types of machines used in the forging process the first 2 or 3 may be hammer forges, the final stages more of the press type although their speed may be such that they may appear to be hammer forges as well from the observer's point of view. After tempering One final step would be to reheat to a predetermined temperature these processes were not shown in the video however the in the very last scene where the dies pressed down on the crankshaft one final time this was to straighten the shaft and make sure that it would pass the indicator testing sequence before being sent to the grinders.
    Another way to make crankshafts is to use a rolled cylindrical billet then machine away everything that does not look like a crank shaft then place it in a holding fixture put it in an oven for heat treatment then to the grinder this being an extremely expensive process but routinely done when making one off exotic or prototype crankshafts

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

greenie (Apr 15, 2021), Jon (Jun 19, 2017), KustomsbyKent (Jun 19, 2017), mcthistle007 (Apr 19, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jul 29, 2019), Trojan Horse (Jun 21, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    One thing I forgot to mention in the forging process is the oil passages must be bored before the tempering and hardening process
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

greenie (Apr 15, 2021), mcthistle007 (Apr 19, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jul 29, 2019), Trojan Horse (Jun 21, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    One thing I forgot to mention in the forging process is the oil passages must be bored before the tempering and hardening process
    And that process supposedly begat the split point drill. Up to that time splash oiling was considered a satisfactory option.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information