Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Four Bolts Compound Clamp

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools

Four Bolts Compound Clamp

Captain's Lathe 2nd Mod

Hi everyone,

This is 2nd and most important modification of my lathe (11 x 26, bigger brother of Grizzly G0602).

In order to make compound more rigid and also to enable use of bigger cutting tools, I made 4 bolts compound clamp and by the same time I lowered top slide for almost 5 mm. That allows use of bigger 4-way tool post and 16 x 16 mm cutting tools.
    Both; compound clamp and new pivoting base were made from 25 mm high tensile AH36 (shipbuilding) steel plate. In order to make it more rigid,
    I made new pivoting base which is bigger and which has recess for compound slide pivoting base. Compound clamp is bolted down with four M8 x 30 bolts.

Picture 01
    Original (very bad) design is 2 bolts compound clamp with bolts at wrong places. There is a lot of flexing, vibrations and chatter.

Picture 02
    New 4 bolts compound clamp and new beefier 4-way tool post.
    I have no intention of installing QCTP, as for the last 30 years or so I was working on various heavy duty lathes with 4-way tool post. Shimming is not a problem at all, especially if the same size tools are used. For this tool post and 16 x 16 mm tools I need 2 mm shim. For 16 x 16 mm boring bar holder I need 9 mm high shimming.

Picture 03
    My complement of 16 x 16 cutting tools. I think I am done with buying turning tools. Only inserts from time to time.

Picture 04
    Drawing / clamp + 4-way tool post

Pictures 05 and 06
    New beefy 4-way tool post compared with old low one. Observe that new tool post is unfinished rough product. This 75 x 75 mm tool post was purchased via Taobao in China for 12.50 USD. It is not completed product. Made of extra hard material and took me long time to square and polish it.

Picture 07
    T-Bolt for tool post was made from one piece of 316 stainless steel round bar, diameter 70 mm.

Picture 08
    Squaring and drilling of compound clamp.

Picture 09
    Drilling and threading of cross slide. (M8 thread)

Picture 10
    Compound clamp; top view and bottom view

Picture 11
    Pivoting base; top view and bottom view

Picture 12
    Compound slide and compound clamp parts and assembled

Picture 13
    Dial ring and set screw. As the pitch of lead screw is metric (1.5 mm)
    and numbers on dial ring are in thousands of inch, I used dymo tape and
    print numbers in mm. 0 – 3 mm for diameter reading. Also installed set screw as original design with some weak leaf spring inside was disaster. Dial ring was rotating freely.

Picture 14
    Clearance between handles. Top slide could not be lowered any more.

Picture 15
    Tool post handle; made of stainless steel and Chinese chrome plated handle and M18 closed end cup nut on top of handle will avoid hand injuries.

Picture 16
    Three 3 mm shims are required for 16 x 16 mm boring bar holder.
    It is impossible to use this boring bar holder or bigger boring bars in old turret tool post or any size QCTP (AXA, BXA, 100, 200 etc) which are suitable for this size lathe. Also this cheap and extra hard 4-way turret tool post is (in my opinion) much better choice than any Aloris, Dorian, Phase II or cheaper Chinese wedge or piston type quick change tool posts. They are simply overrated.

Hope that above will help someone to improve his lathe and make right decision which tool post to buy.

Next post will be tailstock cam lock. Already done and pictures taken.

LMMasterMariner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Four Bolts Compound Clamp-01.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-02.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-03.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-04.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-05.jpg  

Four Bolts Compound Clamp-06.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-07.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-08.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-09.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-10.jpg  

Four Bolts Compound Clamp-11.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-12.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-13.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-14.jpg   Four Bolts Compound Clamp-15.jpg  

Four Bolts Compound Clamp-16.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by LMMasterMariner; Mar 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

Carlos B (Sep 22, 2017), Charron63 (Nov 30, 2017), Home-PC (Sep 11, 2023), Metallurg33 (Nov 18, 2019), mr95gst (Mar 30, 2017), mwmkravchenko (Nov 16, 2019), olderdan (Nov 15, 2019), Paul Jones (Mar 29, 2017), saaq22 (Oct 17, 2021), Seedtick (Mar 29, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Nov 14, 2019), VegeKev (Mar 29, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    LMMasterMariner,

Thank you for the excellent photos and instructions. Looks like a significant improvement over the original design. Can you take deeper roughing cuts and do you have a better surface finish on the finish cuts?

Regards, Paul

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Hello Paul,

Yes, it is big improvement. I can't feel any vibrations at long and thin boring bar and finish is much smoother.
    I can't take much deeper cuts as the motor is stopping, but there is complete lack of vibrations.
    Must say that I am very happy with this improvement.

Cheers
    LMMasterMariner

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 30, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks LMMasterMariner! We've added your 4 Bolt Compound Clamp to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: LMMasterMariner's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Jun 6, 2020), LMMasterMariner (Mar 30, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks LMMasterMariner! We've added your Tool Post T Bolt to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: LMMasterMariner's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Mar 30, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks LMMasterMariner! We've added your Pivoting Base to our Lathe Accessories category,

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks LMMasterMariner! We've added your Tool Post Handle to our Lathe Accessories category,

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    I like the 4 bolt compound clamp, going to have make one of those now, thanks for sharing

Doug
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    Very heavy duty and well documented.
    From a popular rap: "If time is money then I need a loan."
    Carlos B,http://hobbyworkshopprojects.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    My similar effort uses 3 bolts but I went for extra rigidity by eliminating the compound slide. It only takes a minute to revert back whenever (seldom) I need the slide.
    I also added a rear tool post rigidly attached with a 4 way tool holder permanently loaded with a turning tool, cutoff tool and drill chuck with a spot drill.

Four Bolts Compound Clamp-toolpost-mount-01.jpg Four Bolts Compound Clamp-fixed-toolposts-01.jpg Click images for full size.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

H.L (May 30, 2020), high-side (Nov 17, 2019), Jon (Nov 14, 2019), LMMasterMariner (Nov 15, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Nov 16, 2019)

Thread Information