Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fractal vise - GIF, video, and patent

Thanks
    Is this a commercially available vice or a "one-off"?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrous View Post
    Is this a commercially available vice or a "one-off"?
    Neither, at the moment. They WERE commercially available a century ago, and may be again.

Bill

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Eloquently put!
    I'm itching to get back into working on instead of gathering materials. Started about 2-1/2 years ago, then on hold a year.....attacking a different way now.
    Sounds like a good collaborative project.
    A number of us arrange to each build enough parts for a vise or two per participant.

That way on person builds say ten bases, another builds twenty jaws, a third builds x number of large pivots, etc.

Everyone makes one type of part, trying to equalize the costs and labor between the different parts.

Once everything is made all the parts are distributed and everyone gets a vise.

Should be possible with the skills here. Fitment might be tough, but still possible with todays accuracy.

Logistics would be the biggest issue, shipping costs, and agreement on the distribution of labor/material costs.

It's nice to dream though...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    It's done in Europe all the time, some towns focus on it, ie Eibar Spain. The general term is 'cottage industry'.
    You were thinking farther outside the sphere (Frank S's visualization; infinite points of reference compared to a box). My central goal is an operative Toolroom facing the public, and some manufacturing from within.
    Collaborative manufacture takes a group of tricks. It starts with the distribution of equipment, and proximity to shipping points, relatively easy compared to inspection and assembly. Real impasse is funding, worst hurdle of all.

Recent as 70's-80's, an articulating vise was available, with 3 pivots. It was the "Morton" and expensive enough that I put off getting at least one. Equipped better now, making a proper DIY is not insurmountable
    Fractal vise - GIF, video, and patent-morton.png
    One thing remains, articulating jaws are suited to short run or prototypes, conforming jaws work best with long run jobs.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 30, 2021 at 07:30 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Moldyjim (Jul 1, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moldyjim View Post
    Sounds like a good collaborative project.
    A number of us arrange to each build enough parts for a vise or two per participant.

That way on person builds say ten bases, another builds twenty jaws, a third builds x number of large pivots, etc.

Everyone makes one type of part, trying to equalize the costs and labor between the different parts.

Once everything is made all the parts are distributed and everyone gets a vise.

Should be possible with the skills here. Fitment might be tough, but still possible with todays accuracy.

Logistics would be the biggest issue, shipping costs, and agreement on the distribution of labor/material costs.

It's nice to dream though...
    First we would have to discuss which measurement system we are going to use Afterwards fitment should be no problem
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    First we would have to discuss which measurement system we are going to use Afterwards fitment should be no problem
    Snort,
    Yeah, we wouldn't want to hit Mars prematurely....

In the words of the great mid 20th century philosopher, Maxwell Smart. "Missed it by that much..."

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    So here is my cheap "Servo style" (I think that's what they called it) drill press vise;
    Fractal vise - GIF, video, and patent-servo-vise.jpg
    This came from the local home supply story 25 years ago. I've not seen them since then. Quick search ebay could not find one.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information