Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Free Hand and Ball Turning Tool

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Maybe I'm being a bit over cautious in my thoughts but since this holder is not mounted down, I can't help but wonder if the base diameter to the height of the cutter ratio is sufficient to prevent vibration or the cutter gouging in too deep, I'll admit to having never ran a lathe with a smaller swing than 10" and most of my work involves a lot heavier turning.
    Hi Frank, the tool can be pulled back so it is completely within the base and must admit that I'm using a very very shallow angle tool with brass. It feels very stable. I will change the chuck over to a collet chuck as jamming it under a jaw with my finger in the way would not be good. My other thought was to back off the belt on the motor to just give me a more...

However, I've only used it briefly as a freehand turning tool and it is very stable, the tool was pulled back for that. With the radius tool I pushed the tool forward as there is the addition of the radius arm and that does make it feel very stable.

Hope that helps, best regards, Nigel

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by editor@glue-it.com View Post
    Hi Frank, the tool can be pulled back so it is completely within the base and must admit that I'm using a very very shallow angle tool with brass. It feels very stable. I will change the chuck over to a collet chuck as jamming it under a jaw with my finger in the way would not be good. My other thought was to back off the belt on the motor to just give me a more...

However, I've only used it briefly as a freehand turning tool and it is very stable, the tool was pulled back for that. With the radius tool I pushed the tool forward as there is the addition of the radius arm and that does make it feel very stable.

Hope that helps, best regards, Nigel
    Just be safe, if you are comfortable with it everything should be apples, 100% in agreement about a collet chuck being safer

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations editor@glue-it.com - your Freehand Ball Turning Tool is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Interesting little tool and cleverly done!

Some more good builds from this week:

Lathe Milling Attachment by mariost
    Arbor by xynudu
    Lathe Rest Extension by Frank S
    Grout Removal Tool by mr_modify1
    Nesting Finish Blocks by Make Things
    Pyrolitic Stove by fergiomaria
    Gluing Jig by Philip Davies
    Bench Grinder Stand by orioncons36
    Tubing Swab by Frank S
    Go Gauges by Frank S
    Cu-Mai Knife by SteelCraft
    CNC Lathe Spindle by GBWM
    Dimple Punch and Die by Frank S
    Tool Holder as Vise by Frank S

editor@glue-it.com - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

And, you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon (US-only), PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and award choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by gatz View Post
    good one !
    Hey Gatz,

I am curious about that clock in your avatar. I tried an image search but did not find anything. Did you make that?

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    Yes, I made it for our son. The large "hour ring" is laser-cut SS. The minute hand is water-jet cut Lexan.
    If you'd like more info, just PM me.

gatz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I understand Frank S's apprehension, though brass and other material that guarantees granular chips would seem tractable. Long as there is a lever of sufficient length to maintain control of fine feed rate, a conservative (tentative) depth of cut would be good insurance.
    Despite appearance, this would generate a semi-sphere beyond corners only; dependent on tool form, material diameter, coordinates of the pivot, and of course desired size.
    And ummm, avoiding chuck jaws?

Outside comparison to yoke variety of radii fixtures (ie Holdridge), this has a lot of merit. A single recommendation trades shoulder [stripper] bolt for the boss acting as pivot.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 11, 2021 at 07:10 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    I used this radius tool to make the domed door for the miniature Burrell I'm making. The door is mild steel and I would not recommend using it on this unless you are very experienced. This tool is really better used with brass.

Free Hand and Ball Turning Tool-curved-door-01.jpg

I had to finish this with emery and wet n dry, but the domed smokebox door on the Burrell I think looks superb

Free Hand and Ball Turning Tool-curved-door-03.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to editor@glue-it.com For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 18, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Dec 13, 2021)

Thread Information