Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Free motion quilting - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Nov 23, 2022), johncg (Nov 24, 2022)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    This is not her first time.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    That's not free motion. It could be witht hat machine, but the photo shows it following a pattern. It is human powered in motion.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by astroscuba View Post
    That's not free motion. It could be witht hat machine, but the photo shows it following a pattern. It is human powered in motion.
    I thought the term "free motion" meant it wasn't being set/constrained by the walking dogs underneath - in which case the term would be correct since the human operator can move the foot in any direction in the 2D plane.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I interpreted Free Motion to be totally free of any programmed inputs. A friend has a machine similar to this and you do have the option to freely move in any direction you want, but you can also pick patterns and as you move the head it will follow those patterns (which is what I see in the video). I suppose we are both correct or we are both incorrect? Wanna agree to disagree?

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by astroscuba View Post
    I interpreted Free Motion to be totally free of any programmed inputs. A friend has a machine similar to this and you do have the option to freely move in any direction you want, but you can also pick patterns and as you move the head it will follow those patterns (which is what I see in the video). I suppose we are both correct or we are both incorrect? Wanna agree to disagree?
    If she were following a pattern, she would be on the opposite side of the machine, where there's a flat location for a large long pattern, and a laser pointer that she would follow the pattern with. She's doing this by just watching the current sewn paisley pattern she created, and using it's line as reference for her new one. The thing you see hanging down is a fine long tweezer for picking loose threads up.
    My wife has one of these machines, a brand that uses garage door rails for both directions of travel (Nolting). Other brands have V groove bearings running on the outside corner of angle iron (actually aluminum extrusions).
    The depth of the throat is what drives the cost, to keep them rigid enough for needle and rotary hook alignment. And they are low volume sales. I was always hoping China would introduce an affordable one. She got her's used from a friend. Without CNC these start out at $16K for 24" throat. Add CNC and prices can easily get to $32K. And doing this for money is too hard of work. Typical fees are $80 to $160 here in the Midwest. And they expect the batting to be included for that, sometimes the back as well.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information