Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Full profile button cutter - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

Full profile button cutter - video

Full profile button cutter. By Clickspring. 3:05 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    I don't know what a "full profile button cutter" is used for.

Where can I see one performing?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rayh__ View Post

Yeah, these goofy vids that start off and don't show what they are making or how it is used only receives about 10 seconds of my time 5 at the beginning and 5 at the end if that.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Yes I agree, but maybe that's why this channel is named Clic spring
    It's for you to Clic many times ...
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    -That title might be thought of as some sort of a New Year's Quiz, but it's actually pretty explanatory,
    IF you've seen (the late) John Stevenson's method of having two spaced, hardened buttons as a quick & dirty form tool
    for turning and relieving a DIYed involute gear cutter (of your chosen # of T and its pitch/ Mod and PA).

Writeup (for the happy few of us not too hungover today): Cutting Involute Gears with Form Tools | MetalWebNews.com
    Mike's Workshop: Making gear cutters - mikesworkshop
    Thor Hansen's PDF (Pics within!): https://thor-hansen.webnode.com/_fil...uteCutters.pdf

Cheers
    Johan

PS: Personally I don't see myself "wasting time" at Clickspring's site, anytime. But to each his own I guess?
    How he uses them:
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Jan 1, 2022 at 01:21 AM. Reason: added link

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

rayh__ (Jan 1, 2022), schuylergrace (Jan 3, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    -That title might be thought of as some sort of a New Year's Quiz, but it's actually pretty explanatory,
    IF you've seen (the late) John Stevenson's method of having two spaced, hardened buttons as a quick & dirty form tool
    for turning and relieving a DIYed involute gear cutter (of your chosen # of T and its pitch/ Mod and PA).

Writeup (for the happy few of us not too hungover today): Cutting Involute Gears with Form Tools | MetalWebNews.com
    Mike's Workshop: Making gear cutters - mikesworkshop
    Thor Hansen's PDF (Pics within!): https://thor-hansen.webnode.com/_fil...uteCutters.pdf

Cheers
    Johan

PS: Personally I don't see myself "wasting time" at Clickspring's site, anytime. But to each his own I guess?
    How he uses them:
    Anybody who thinks time spent at Clickspring's site is wasted must already be a master machinist. Anyone who isn't a master machinist could profitably spend quite a bit of time there. Among things he shows how to make are hand-cut files, a replica of the Antikythera machine, and square broaches. I suppose if you're only interested in CNC, his site and videos might not be of much use to you. If you have any interest in the history of tools, how things came to be the way they are now making things, or in making interesting and unusual things, he's worth checking out. YMMV, of course.

Bill

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Rikk (Jan 3, 2022), schuylergrace (Jan 3, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rayh__ View Post

Asking for quite a bit from a 3 minute video. OK. When making a gear cutter blank into a gear cutter, you can cut one side of the gear cutter at a time, or you can cut both sides at once. "Full profile" tells you it's to cut both sides at once. The same Youtube channel can show you the cutter in this video being used, and the whole process of making such a cutter, and using it.

The guy is a wizard. And he shows how to do things quite well. He also knows how to show others how to do what he's doing.

Frank's a wizard, too, but he sometimes expects people to get how to do what he does when it is not obvious to those of us who are not wizards.

I've spent much of my spare time the past 7 years learning how to be a machinist. In a good week, I might get 5 or 6 hours of practice. 6X7X52=2184. That is the maximum time I could have effectively learning machining in the past 7 years. Assuming I got to go every possible day, every week of the year, for seven years. Not a good assumption. Minus a week of fall break, another of spring break, and two of winter break, sicknesses, too tired to go, etc. I've maybe got an actual 2000 hours. To become an expert, you need (so they say) 10,000 hours of practice. AFTER you know what you're doing, I believe. I ain't there yet, though my teacher says I'm becoming a decent machinist. I'm 66 years old. If I live to be 100, I might, maybe, possibly, get to do that 10,000 hours. Five years of 8-hour days, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, and I could have that 10,000 hours in. Sure I could!

Bill

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

schuylergrace (Jan 3, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Here is a gear being cut with a cutter made with the full profile button cutter tool, or perhaps the large button cutter tool. Lots of ways to do it. That particular channel is just short clips of various things. The main channel has the full procedures for smaller projects, and the series for larger ones. The Antikythera machine sequence, for example, starts with him making the tools a Greek mechanic/machinist would use to make the original of that machine, including the files used, back when that machine was created perhaps as early as 205BC.

And here is a preview of the Antikythera machine video set.

Bill
    Last edited by WmRMeyers; Jan 3, 2022 at 09:38 AM.

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Ok I didn't know this channel. I guess the initial trouble is simply because the video has been posted out if its context.
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Ok I didn't know this channel. I guess the initial trouble is simply because the video has been posted out if its context.
    Most of what you do is with wood. And in that material, I think you also qualify as a wizard. I'm a wood butcher. I find metal working easier and more forgiving than wood working. in other words, MY mileage varies quite a bit!

Thread Information