Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Gas fluxer for brazing

Thanks

Gas fluxer for brazing

Has anyone made, or have plans for a gas fluxer - similar to model 69 from Gasfluxer?

I want to make one

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Gas Fluxer

Quote Originally Posted by groupj View Post
    Has anyone made, or have plans for a gas fluxer - similar to model 69 from Gasfluxer?

I want to make one
    I was thinking about the same thing a while back. I used to use one on a regular basis for English formula car repairs and it is the only way to go for good quality brazing joints.

Here is a link that may help. The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center

I don't know what your application is, but for British race cars, many of them use SifBronze #2, or 101. You can source this from the UK. Just Google Sifbronze and you should be able to find the rod in various sizes. The Ariel Atom built in the UK still uses bronze welding. There are a few videos on YouTube of one of their artisans using the process...Brian Ashcroft.

I think he uses the SifBronze 101.

Good luck.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jdsc For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 18, 2017)

Thanks

I use a TIG Welder, Cleaner Process WIth Silicon Bronze "I THINK!"

Quote Originally Posted by jdsc View Post
    I was thinking about the same thing a while back. I used to use one on a regular basis for English formula car repairs and it is the only way to go for good quality brazing joints.

Here is a link that may help. The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center

I don't know what your application is, but for British race cars, many of them use SifBronze #2, or 101. You can source this from the UK. Just Google Sifbronze and you should be able to find the rod in various sizes. The Ariel Atom built in the UK still uses bronze welding. There are a few videos on YouTube of one of their artisans using the process...Brian Ashcroft.

I think he uses the SifBronze 101.

Good luck.
    Good Luck... Have you checked how much the unit costs from the company that already has done the engineering already?

Thanks

Tig brazing

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge1963 View Post
    Good Luck... Have you checked how much the unit costs from the company that already has done the engineering already?
    This is probably a dumb question, but when you braze with Silicone Bronze, are you using AC or DC tig.

Thanks
    http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...razing.htmlTIG
    Welding/Brazing with Silicon Bronze filler
    Tig welding with silicon bronze is technically tig brazing because usually the base metal being welded/brazed has a much higher melting point than silicon bronze filler rod.
    The melting point of silicon bronze tig rod is between 1800 and 1990 f...
    while the melting point of steel is around 2700 f.
    But if you are not careful, its pretty easy to melt some of the steel base metal into the weld or braze metal.
    that can be a problem because too much steel mixed into the silicon bronze can cause cracking due to a brittle weld or braze.
    Watch both Part 1 AND Part 2 of this video
    grab a tig finger at the weldmonger store
    But even so, silicon bronze has lots of uses.
    My first time using sil-bro was to build up a worn area in a hydraulic line on a forklift.
    It was a carbon steel tube about 1/2" in diameter and was worn from chafing against a bracket after years of vibration.
    I asked the shop owner about it and he said the silicon bronze would be more wear resistance and would also be easy to overlay on the steel tubing without melting thru.
    He was right.
    That repair was easy...
    I was done in 10 minutes and the part was back on the forklift in less than an hour.
    yes.
    I use both. For nasty cast iron, I like to use aluminum bronze and AC.
    Silicon bronze works for cast iron too but I have found the aluminum bronze to be stronger.
    For clean metal, I like to use silicon bronze on DC, a large gas lens cup, and 33 pps.
    pulsing at 33-50 pps seems to help agitate the puddle and keep it moving at low heat input
    Other applications for tig welding with silicon bronze
    • Tig welding copper to carbon steel or stainless steel
    • build up of wear surfaces
    • tig welding galvanized sheet
    • metal art
    • temporary fixtures that dont require full strength of a weld

tig welding copper to steels
    Silicon bronze works for joining copper to carbon steel as well as to stainless steel.
    You always want to use a technique that only flows the filler rod and does not actually melt the base metal.
    I find that using the rule of 33 (33 pps, 33% on time, 33% background) provides a little bit of puddle agitation and helps keep the heat down too.
    build up of wear surfaces
    silicon bronze is more wear resistant than carbon steel so it is sometimes used as a wear resistant layer on a journal or shaft.
    Aluminum bronze can work even better for wear areas.
    galvanized sheet
    When the higher heat used with other welding rods is used on galvanized, the zinc boils and out gasses.
    But because of its low melt point, silicon bronze tig brazing works better on galvanized sheet than welding with mild steel rods.
    Metal art
    the gold look of silicon bronze makes stuff look cool.
    Silicon bronze will join carbon steel, copper, bronze, brass, cast iron...pretty much any of these to any other.
    But remember its not as strong as a weld.
    But for most metal art, that does not matter.

temporary fixtures
    Tig brazing with Silicon bronze requires so much less heat than a weld does that distortion is usually quite a bit less.
    So that makes it a good choice for a temporary fixture that needs to stay true or flat but does not require a lot of strength.
    Sometimes, you need to make a prototype fixture just to see if the idea works. Silicon bronze is a quick way to do it and is easy to grind loose too.
    more tig welding videos.

And by the by the way I contacted Bob Farquhar Bob@gasflux.com the unit you are copying only costs:
    PN 69001T – Model 69 Gasfluxer - $615.00, you might be farther ahead to purchase it than trying to copy their technology… Unless maybe they have no problem with that.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information