Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Golf ball handles

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Golf ball handles

I am officially a copy cat.
    I told a friend that I was looking for some gooof balls so he brought me some
    I imeadiatly drilled and tapped 3 of them then installed them on 1 of my drill presses since the knobs had been broken off for over a year now and I've been too lazy to make new ones.
    Golf ball handles-20180901_151029.jpgccc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 5, 2018), PJs (Sep 10, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 5, 2018), rossbotics (Sep 4, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 5, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I am officially a copy cat.
    I told a friend that I was looking for some gooof balls so he brought me some
    I imeadiatly drilled and tapped 3 of them then installed them on 1 of my drill presses since the knobs had been broken off for over a year now and I've been too lazy to make new ones.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180901_151029.jpgccc.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	274.7 KB 
ID:	25385
    Problem solved

Doug

2000 Tool Plans
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Drill Press Handle to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    It is many years since I took a golf ball apart, but I remember unwinding what seemed like miles of tightly wound rubber band type thread, and in the middle was a half inch diameter squishy ball full of something that looked like white lead paste. Not really the sort of thing that can be tapped very well. Perhaps newer golf balls are made differently. If I was doing this I think I would use billiard/pool balls.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    MobyDuck, I was of the same mind.. Th last time I had anything to do with golf balls was when I was a youngling and you are correct miles and miles of rubber band never saw any white lead past stuff the little rubber balls I cut open had as clear liquid in them.
    I doubt if there are any of those type golf balls still around. I'm fairly certain I di my part in cutting up most of them and winding the rubber band into 1 giant ball.
    The yellow golf ball my friend gave me have some hard filling in them it drills well but if you run a 1/2" drill in it the hole is only going tt wind up around 7/16" I used a 1/2Bit and drilled about a 1/2" deep then used an undersized bit to drill another 5/8" or there about then tapped for 3/8 16 tpi You can cut threads in them but the hole reduces after the tap is removed. No biggie it just means they stay on better.
    Funny thing the golf balls I have say practice on them I felt that was fitting since I was practicing making knobs for my drill press had they not been found to be suitable I was prepared to make some out of aluminum

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    Welcome to the club Frank, and it's ok to use my idea.

One of the club benefits is that there's no need to tap a thread into the ball, simply drill about 1mm undersize for shaft you're fitting onto and press fit. Works even when the shaft has a pre existing thread.

Bony

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bony For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 10, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Yeah there probably was no need to thread them but since my handles are 1/2" and the thread on the end is 3/8".
    I did drill 1 to 7/16 " about an 1'"Deep then forced it on. to me it felt like it wouldn't stay on very well even though it was real tight to get on it felt wobbly when pulling down on the handle and it would turn in it. I step drilled the other 2 and threaded them they screwed on tight and I could feel them bottom out. If the 1 gives me problems later I will remove it and mix some epoxy to hold it on with.
    I often drill 3/4 to 7/8" holes on that drill press without first drilling a pilot hole. the 1 1/2 hp motor #3 MT has plenty of power and since it is extremely bothersome to change the speeds I just leave it in the lowest RPM (250) setting My other drill press is slightly smaller 34" HP #2 MT I leave it set in the 550 RPM range but it will barely drill a 1/2" hole direct through 1/2" plate steel It is a craftsman and has a really crappy cast handle. To me they feel like they were cast backwards

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 6, 2018 at 08:42 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 10, 2018)

Thread Information