Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Grass edge trimmer - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Miloslav (Dec 28, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Jan 1, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A couple improvements I noticed right off that the machine needs.
    first it needs a vacuum sweeper and a compaction bagger hopper to collect compress and bag the debris as it edges and cleans the moss and weeds from the cracks in the paving.
    If you are going to lay out the amount of cash required to buy that machine it might as well do it all at once.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I am looking at that a bit differently. There are several problems combining the vacuum with the edger. Sweeping vacuum devices are already pretty common and not nearly as complex as the edger. Whoever needs an edging machine like the one shown would surely already have a sweeper or they could afford one. Sometimes we try to engineer things that do too many jobs at one time, then the effectiveness of each function is diminished. This seems like a case where the additional complexity of a vacuum, the added weight along with the added size would make the edger a lot less nimble.

If you combine the two machines, you loose the flexibility of using the sweeper by itself. You would use the sweeper for many more tasks than just following the edger around. Why would you waste the money paying for a sweeper, that you cannot use for other jobs?

If you think about work flow, the vacuum can sweep faster than the edger creates debris. The edger can start working, getting a good head start. The sweeper can be doing clean up in other areas of the "estate". After a allowing the edger work ahead, the sweeper and quickly catch up to clean up behind the edger. As the sweeper fills it can peel off to go dump the load. Then easily catch back up while the edger keeps working along.

I am not a spokesman for the cyclone rake. I do have a friend that has one, it does a very good job. Very simple and effective.
    Last edited by hemmjo; Dec 28, 2019 at 05:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I see your point I was looking at it from a different angle it seemed like a lot of machine wasted on being an edger only since it looks like the only thing that makes it an edger is the vertical disk on a hydraulic arm where as a sweeper already has brushes mounted on both vertical and horizontal axis. Obviously neither a street sweeper or the edger would be suitable as a leaf rake such as the cyclone nor would a machine such as the cyclone attached to a lawnmower be of much use as a sweeper. and yet all share a common problem of what to do with the debris Commercial street sweepers have the ability to remove moss and growth between cracks in pavement but mostly just displace and wash the streets , few have the capability of vacuuming up the debris. Huge commercial vacuum machines can have dump truck sized hoppers but have a poor ability to dislodge any thing with adhesion to the surface.
    One thing that helps the cyclone type attachments functionality is they are used in conjunction with a lawnmower which usually will have mulching blades assisting in reducing the displaced volume of the grass or leaves. Disposal still requires a separate operation of dumping then bagging, whereas something akin to a household trash compactor mounted on or in them would alleviate having to shovel the debris into bags.
    The edger in the OP in reality does nothing but cut and scatter.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information