Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grease applicator - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

Grease applicator - GIF

Grease applicator.

Previously:

Lubricating switches with paintball gun - GIF
    Packaging roller bearings - GIF
    3D printed bearing assembly tool - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jan 6, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 10, 2021), Seedtick (Jan 6, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2020)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I think he has used that gun once or maybe twice.

All the worlds graphite gone onto one machine.

Cheers

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    I think he has used that gun once or maybe twice.

All the worlds graphite gone onto one machine.

Cheers
    Probably not graphite grease but molybdenum disulfide grease, known simply as moly grease
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jan 6, 2020)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Probably not graphite grease but molybdenum disulfide grease, known simply as moly grease
    Thanks Frank. Gee, ad some copper and they can blow their socks off, to boot.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    We've all greased bearings. By gun, thrown hard into a bucket, or fingers of course.
    A company [Odetics, Anaheim CA] built ultra high grade reel to reel tape decks for various space programs, US and abroad. Sturdily engineered to withstand G force of rocket launch.
    These had several ball bearings, about 1.5 and 4mm bore. These were cleaned of assembly grease 101% and regreased with specialized lube.
    Under a microscope.
    Clean room of course, in an electronic lab scale.
    With a precisely metered air driven syringe and needle.
    Each ball [8-10?] got a milli-milli gram right where ball and cage met. 1 pin point dot.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jan 11, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    We've all greased bearings. By gun, thrown hard into a bucket, or fingers of course.
    A company [Odetics, Anaheim CA] built ultra high grade reel to reel tape decks for various space programs, US and abroad. Sturdily engineered to withstand G force of rocket launch.
    These had several ball bearings, about 1.5 and 4mm bore. These were cleaned of assembly grease 101% and regreased with specialized lube.
    Under a microscope.
    Each ball [8-10?] got a milli-milli gram right where ball and cage met. 1 pin point dot.
    I like the size of the slewing ring bearing and gear teeth better at least I wouldn't need a microscope to see it

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Under a microscope.
    I cant imagine the sterility of that workshop.
    Aside=My 24 y.o. son who works for an auto supply co wanted to borrow my small box trailer yesterday. (They get all kinds of training in his job and he is the only one allowed to do fitments.) OK, I said, but we will snig up the wheel bearings on driver's side before you go. No, he had to go and get new bearings as he didn't want it exploding on the hiway. "Ok", I again said, "go ahead" (he had done the last set when he borrowed it a short while back & doubt if it had done 1000Ks). When he went to remove cones I told him no bother as there was no damage to them (or the bearings) but it HAD to be done every time the bearings were done: "Ok" repeated. After about an hour of mucking around & my advising to use the engineers vice & 20 ton press, I almost had to snatch the hub from him, as his new girl friend and her mom, were watching. 5 mins to the shed and back= done. Assembly was interesting: 3 or 4 pairs of disposable gloves later and looking at utube and the rear seal (different to original) and his complaining of must be Ford not GM bearings BS, he finally listened to me (I kept walking away as it was too stressful watching & advising & no heed being taken= he has to learn after all). His girlfriend's mother is a doctor (gyno I think but profession of no consequence) and had advised that a girl friend of hers bought a house part and installed watching utube & saved heaps of $$$. So, winding him up with support: too many cooks!

Anyway, he finally removed and wrecked the back to front rear seal and replaced it with the previous one & proceeded to fit the hub. You know when you advise the rubber goes to the bearing and the metal side to the outside you think it is CLEAR how to install. (I won't go into the greasing of the tapered roller bearings as too painful). Mom in law to be, gave further advice..........and he tightened the nut and started to replace the split pin. I said to not bend the pin yet. "WHY?"= "It is NOT tightened correctly" was my answer: "I'll show you how we did it in the old days BEFORE UTUBE and our boat trailer never got stuck on the side of a road or hiway from bearings". I first registered that trailer in 1972 and never been caught by it either. ( I was held up with the boat only once from someone had apparently tried to steal a wheel and was interrupted, and the wheel passed us at 100kph). I showed him by fitting the wheel to the hub and demonstrated that his method could be improved by following a process= not rocket science. He actually learned this time, I think: would never listen as a child and knew everything. Might be a chip off the old block: LOL.

Our kids were sent to us to bring up and they inturn TEACH US SOME LIFE LESSONS. I always had the patience of a rock, as my elder brother says, but kids can make some of us frustrated: me included.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Sorry Ranald but I have to say this. You first mistake was allowing him anywhere near your trailer wearing latex disposable gloves. those gloves do have a purpose but just about the only time is when using KBS paint because if that stuff gets on you it will be there until you shed the top 3 layers of your skin usually a couple weeks to wear off completely.
    when greasing bearing if I am only doing a couple it is glob of grease in palm, work bearing into the grease by scraping the rim of the cage against you palm the grease will leave your hand super clean in that area for clean up before heading to the hand cleaner or soap and water I like to scrub my hands in automatic transmission fluid it will dissolve the grease and any grime much better than the best grit hand cleaner

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jan 11, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 10, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2020)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Sorry Ranald but I have to say this. You first mistake was allowing him anywhere near your trailer wearing latex disposable gloves. those gloves do have a purpose but just about the only time is when using KBS paint because if that stuff gets on you it will be there until you shed the top 3 layers of your skin usually a couple weeks to wear off completely.
    when greasing bearing if I am only doing a couple it is glob of grease in palm, work bearing into the grease by scraping the rim of the cage against you palm the grease will leave your hand super clean in that area for clean up before heading to the hand cleaner or soap and water I like to scrub my hands in automatic transmission fluid it will dissolve the grease and any grime much better than the best grit hand cleaner
    That is the way I (my dad showed me) have always done it. Even when contract parks mowing with my sealed tractor mower bearings, I would remove one seal or sometimes both and work in the palm as the first "ubeaut" sealed ones lasted no time without proper grease insertion. Eventually, soon after, I would remove the top bearing seal alltogether, and not replace, so that i could still grease in the usual manner after about 5 hrs continuous work (ie: twice daily): I left/replaced the bottom one as another line of defence (the Kubota hubs have a pretty good bottom seal) against bailing twine, used by council for cheap tree tieing (reusable tree tie was stolen), and fishing line used for kites and fishing.

I told my son I thought those gloves were not great for the largest body organ and the response was better than grease: I mentioned old mechanics with reply like the grease is different now=point taken: somewhat like "oils aint oils".
    I use an orange/citrus product to clean hands of most grease/oil etc. It is excellent and the hands feel fresh as well.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    That is the way I (my dad showed me) have always done it. Even when contract parks mowing with my sealed tractor mower bearings, I would remove one seal or sometimes both and work in the palm as the first "ubeaut" sealed ones lasted no time without proper grease insertion. Eventually, soon after, I would remove the top bearing seal alltogether, and not replace, so that i could still grease in the usual manner after about 5 hrs continuous work (ie: twice daily): I left/replaced the bottom one as another line of defence (the Kubota hubs have a pretty good bottom seal) against bailing twine, used by council for cheap tree tieing (reusable tree tie was stolen), and fishing line used for kites and fishing.

I told my son I thought those gloves were not great for the largest body organ and the response was better than grease: I mentioned old mechanics with reply like the grease is different now=point taken: somewhat like "oils aint oils".
    I use an orange/citrus product to clean hands of most grease/oil etc. It is excellent and the hands feel fresh as well.
    The guy whos truck and trailers I do all of the work on dropped his 2001 Mack off last week for some much needed TLC. and a few other thing he wanted done. I replaced the shocks on the steer axle the shocks under the sleeper the belt tensioner tightened up a few things the will just need tightening after a few 100,000 miles.
    I noticed the main supply hose between the power steering pump and the reservoir was leaking at the pump looked like it had been doing this for quite some time. tried tightening the clamp but it was already tight so thought it could be the o ring in the fitting that was doing the leaking. the pump shares the engine oil to a lessor extent, so you know what color that oil gets I removed the hose and the fitting to drain it then replaced the o ring and decided to rotate the fitting slightly to allow me to cut off about 2 inches of the hose to have a fresh clamping surface. My hands had that black engine/ PS oil ground in deep but when I reached for a qt of Mercon and poured it over them then scrubbed like I was getting to go into surgery my wife thought I had lost my mind She said you have a 2 gallon dispenser of that Fast Orange gritty hand cleaner why didn't you use that. I said I will but first I want to get my hands a little cleaner. She just shook her hear and said you and your old Indian tricks and walked of muttering using transmission fluid to clean off oil craziest thing I ever heard of, crazy old man would probably take a bath in the stuff in if he--- but by then she was far enough away that I couldn't hear what she said next.

Thread Information