Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Half dead center for the mini lathe - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,837 Times in 11,335 Posts

Half dead center for the mini lathe - video

Half dead center for the mini lathe. By Artisan Makes. 4:28 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jan 8, 2022), bruce.desertrat (Jan 8, 2022), BuffaloJohn (Jan 8, 2022), Carnel (Jan 8, 2022), johncg (Jan 9, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 11, 2022), odd one (Jan 8, 2022), Ralphxyz (Jan 8, 2022), sjbeaton (Jan 7, 2022), Smithie014 (Jan 9, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Oh that's a good idea. I had never thought of that before. I need to make one of those.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Oh that's a good idea. I had never thought of that before. I need to make one of those.
    You need to go read some of the old books on lathe work. They were very common once upon a time. Before my time, too, mind you, but I've been reading in some of those old books for over a dozen years now. Still have a bunch to read, too.

Bill

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    You need to go read some of the old books on lathe work. They were very common once upon a time. Before my time, too, mind you, but I've been reading in some of those old books for over a dozen years now. Still have a bunch to read, too.

Bill
    Oh yeah I'm just learning. I don't for a second claim to know what the hell I'm doing. I'd love to find an encyclopedia of old timer tricks. I feel like CNC is wiping out a huge amount of valuable tribal machining knowledge.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Oh yeah I'm just learning. I don't for a second claim to know what the hell I'm doing. I'd love to find an encyclopedia of old timer tricks. I feel like CNC is wiping out a huge amount of valuable tribal machining knowledge.
    Go to archive.org, and search machinery, machinist, machine tool, lathe, mill, etc. Check out the Hill kinks books, and kinks by itself. Colvin, Burghardt, Popular Mechanics (both their shop hints and a lot of the magazines are there) and you'll find more names to look for as you find related books and magazines. Machinery will get you old copies of the Machinist's Handbook, and the magazine that spawned it. If you need to narrow the search down a bit, try the American Library. Also, check out Folkscanomy. Also Joshua Rose, metal work, and I'm sure you can find other search terms on your own. I've got somewhere around a terabyte of data on my computer, much of it from archive.org. Also, check out the old books at Google Books. A lot of the old out of copyright textbooks from libraries were scanned by Google, and the ones that haven't been reprinted, are also (and sometimes exclusively) there, too.

Bill
    Last edited by WmRMeyers; Jan 12, 2022 at 12:27 PM. Reason: fat fingers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 11, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    I've got somewhere around a terabyte of data on my computer
    You and me both buddy. It helps if you rename it something like "Tax Receipts" that way the ball and chain won't find it.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    You and me both buddy. It helps if you rename it something like "Tax Receipts" that way the ball and chain won't find it.
    I don't have to worry about that. SWMBO encourages me. One day, when I was moaning about how hard a time I was having re-learning how to use my Mini-Lathe, she said "Why don't you take another class?"

Been taking that class, very part-time, for nearly 7 years now. It ends this semester because they're changing the format, but I've only got about a dozen lessons/projects left under the old format left, and I've done many a private project on my own, too.

My folders are titled Electronician and Mechanician, terms used in some of those old books that delighted me.

So I'm easily amused. It keeps me out of the bars at night and is a permitted activity!

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

DIYSwede (Jan 12, 2022)

Thread Information