Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Halitosis Howitzer

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

The Halitosis Howitzer

If you want to get people's (especially younger people) attention at your next engine show or backyard barbecue, you just can't beat a small explosion. I've learned that the nanny-state frowns on 1" smoothbore, black powder cannons firing ball bearings through tree trunks so I built a safe cannon (actually a howitzer) that doesn't sacrifice that head-raising CRACK needed to get yourself noticed.

The top from a soft plastic 35mm film canister is screwed to a block of wood. The piezoelectric sparking element is cannabalized from a commercial butane barbecue lighter and its two wires led through holes in the block to emerge into the cannister top (see detail in second photo. Arrange the wires so, when the piezo button is pressed, you get a nice juicy spark across the wires.

Fuel is provided from a pocket-sized cannister of aerosol breathspray. Spray a bit into the film cannister, immediately mount the cannister on its top on the howitzer, press the piezo button and the cannister will fly twenty to thirty feet with a very satisfying BANG!
    The plastic film cannister won't do any damage if it hits something and, with the small amount of propellant, this is actually a pretty safe device.

Aerosol breathspray works well. It contains alcohol and the propellant is butane so it's fairly easy to get a proper mix of propellant and air in the cannister. Non-pressurized breathspray works too but you'll need to experiment a bit to get the right air-fuel mixture. Hairspray works well but leaves a sticky residue. Experiment - but resist the urge to try acetlyene.

If you have younger kids, ensure that they understand that this is Daddy's toy and lock it securely away when not in use.

Oh, one more thing. When testing the piezo element, don't touch the wires. DAMHIKT.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 9, 2017 at 11:02 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 14, 2018), benkeller3 (Dec 29, 2018), bugsley (Oct 1, 2020), DIYer (Apr 13, 2018), greyhoundollie (Oct 10, 2018), gunsgt1863 (Nov 16, 2017), Jon (Dec 18, 2015), kbalch (Dec 18, 2015), KustomsbyKent (Nov 12, 2017), lazarus (Jan 17, 2016), Loose Ctrl (Nov 13, 2017), Moby Duck (Nov 12, 2017), ncollar (Apr 12, 2018), oldcaptainrusty (Nov 12, 2017), Paul Jones (Dec 27, 2015), ranald (Apr 21, 2018), Raven Sirius (Jan 24, 2016), rlm98253 (Nov 12, 2017), sanderson59 (Sep 26, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Nov 12, 2017), trigger (Sep 25, 2020), Trojan Horse (Nov 15, 2017), verticalmurph (Sep 25, 2020), will52100 (Aug 13, 2018)

Thanks
    Marv
    Tooo Coool

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    One question, mklotz. Where, in this digital age, do you find empty 35mm film canisters?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlm98253 For This Useful Post:

Trojan Horse (Nov 15, 2017), will52100 (Dec 28, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rlm98253 View Post
    One question, mklotz. Where, in this digital age, do you find empty 35mm film canisters?
    Cause he didn't toss them in the first place. DAMHIKT.
    I'm privy to a world class selection of like-sized Rx containers. Snap cap versions might triple the chamber volume available in a 35mm canister...hmmm
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 26, 2020), rlm98253 (Nov 12, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I have a good deal of trouble discarding any nicely configured small container. In addition, I've worked out several quick ways to defeat those infuriating child-proof caps on containers.

There's nothing sacred about film cannisters. Any small pop-top container will work. About the only consideration is the fact that it shouldn't be hard enough or massive enough to inflict damage or knock valuable antique vases off the mantle.

If you're really safety conscious you can attach a string between the howitzer base and projectile and make it into a "pop + howitzer" = "powitzer".
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 26, 2020), rlm98253 (Nov 13, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Nov 18, 2017), Trojan Horse (Nov 15, 2017)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Boy, that was a real easy Google:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=35mm+f...ZI&form=MOZLBR

Apparently Marv is not the only one who likes to use them. Personally I prefer recycling the plastic pill bottles. Some pharmacies can supply them with the same style of snap cap as the plastic film containers have but you have to request "not child safe". They are transparent enough so you can see the contents. I have actually reorganized my screw and bolt collection with them. Various sized pill bottles hold all my screws from 4-40 up to 12-24. I have them in cardboard bins, one bin for each screw size. Metric too.

Paul A.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

Trojan Horse (Nov 15, 2017)

Thanks
    Hugely Entertaining.
    I once saw a quote somewhere that said: "Growing OLD is INEVITABLE; growing UP is OPTIONAL"
    Just about covers it, methinks?
    PS: this is meant as a compliment......

Thanks
    MegaGash
    It is taken as a complement, I like having options.
    Nelson

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    Makes me think back about 30 years, we made potato guns like this. Used 40 or 50mm PVC tube and glued on a screw on end cap. Then the same configuration with the wires in the cap. Find a potato that fits loosely in the tube and throw it in from the front, 3 x self tappers about 3" from the cap ensures the potatoes does not upset your firing wires. We used pressurized deodorant as a propellant. Well you can figure it out from here. Not a toy for kids. The potatoes can be shot some 50m depending on the length of the tube and the fit potato to tube you have. Like I say no toy for a kid., but mechanical engineering students can have a lot of fun.

Thanks for taking me back memory lane.

Had to edit the post and change 20 to 30....man time is flying.
    Last edited by garage nut; Apr 12, 2018 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Memory lane allright! in the sixties we celebrated Guyforks attempt at blowing up parliament & some how added the WILD West. We attached gal house pipe to some 1 1/2 by 3" wood or similar size (very sophicasted use of bending nails over the pipe) and by now you probably know where this is going. the penny bunger was a good fit as well as marbles. two large nails stopped the bunger sliding out the back end but allowed the wick to stick out. We used a hardwood dowel to ram & remove the exploded bunger.I don't know how no one was hurt or houses (except wooden pailings) damaged.
    We then progressed to small sky rockets (cost a penny and later a cent) and had a slit across the pipe for the wick (a little tweaking for us kids to finesse) and a solid block at the back instead of the nails. these were much more dangerous as accuracy was lost resulting in some minor injuries to us and pets.

I wont go into the homemade William Tell cross bows we made. If our parents knew what we got up to!

Today the kids play war games on xbox etc.

Cheers

Thread Information