Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HMT Challenge: -Who'll be the 1st HMT:er DIYing a backyard токамaк together?

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools

HMT Challenge: -Who'll be the 1st HMT:er DIYing a backyard токамaк together?

Some (non-affiliated) press news from the UK-based (-Really? -Still? -What about Brexit, then?) "Joint European токамaк*" (2 min video):

Spin: "Record-breaking 59 megajoules of sustained fusion" (-Ahem- for a "sustain" of 5 seconds, that is...)

* тороидальная камера с аксиальным магнитным полем

How-To: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak#ITER

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Feb 9, 2022 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Feb 9, 2022)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    I use to work there many years ago, on the Culham site in the main workshop. I now work at ISIS at Rutherford Laboratory in a small engineering facility. I know ISIS is the name of the instrument https://www.isis.stfc.ac.uk/Pages/home.aspx
    The Home Engineer

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Duke_of_URL (Feb 10, 2022), nova_robotics (Feb 9, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    Some (non-affiliated) press news from the UK-based (-Really? -Still? -What about Brexit, then?) "Joint European токамaк*" (2 min video):

Spin: "Record-breaking 59 megajoules of sustained fusion" (-Ahem- for a "sustain" of 5 seconds, that is...)

* тороидальная камера с аксиальным магнитным полем

How-To: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak#ITER
    Well, they do have to figure out how to contain the reaction for as long as needed, and then a bit! I am pretty sure if I was getting a few megawatts of power out of mine and the containment failed, it would inconvenience my neighbors just a bit.

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Well, considering they're all one-off prototypes, technically they're all DIY efforts. But I'm sure 3D printers and a handful of Arduinos will make all the difference for the garage efforts

Also, when I was in High School (lo these very nearly 50 years ago!) my junior year english term paper was on the imminent future of cheap, abundant fusiion energy produced in tokomac reactors that were going to get past the breakeven point any day then... :-)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    Well, considering they're all one-off prototypes, technically they're all DIY efforts. But I'm sure 3D printers and a handful of Arduinos will make all the difference for the garage efforts

Also, when I was in High School (lo these very nearly 50 years ago!) my junior year english term paper was on the imminent future of cheap, abundant fusiion energy produced in tokomac reactors that were going to get past the breakeven point any day then... :-)
    And we were going to use the power generated to warm the Earth back up so the glaciers around Los Angeles would melt back...

Bill

Thanks
    Precisely how many Megajoules are required to meet this machine's break-even energy production? Admittedly, this is a nice step but they may still be miles away from commercial reality. Like others, I too wrote Science Papers on the technical advantages of Fusion Energy. Once even went to hear Dr. Edward Teller speak at my University about it.

Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    A much better description of this, as well as more accurate info on the whole thing here: https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...-by-a-tokamak/

This is a testbed device for the larger ITER tokomak, and is designed for only short periods of sustained fusion.

We'll see in 2025, when ITER is put into service to see if real sustained and > break-even fusion can be done.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke_of_URL View Post
    Precisely how many Megajoules are required to meet this machine's break-even energy production? Admittedly, this is a nice step but they may still be miles away from commercial reality. Like others, I too wrote Science Papers on the technical advantages of Fusion Energy. Once even went to hear Dr. Edward Teller speak at my University about it.
    Hey, my grandkids are SURE to see functioning fusion power plants! Or maybe their grandkids...

And I really think we should be doing this experimentation off the planet.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I understand they are going to trial a new lining and also try to expand that 5 second envelope. As always heat rejection is the problem.
    Does 'Cold Fusion' exist?

Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    I understand they are going to trial a new lining and also try to expand that 5 second envelope. As always heat rejection is the problem.
    Does 'Cold Fusion' exist?
    Not really. Fleichmann and Pons results were never repeatable by any other experimenters (or even themselves), although we know something was going on, because there were many folks who got some sort of odd results trying, and those results have shown up in previous literature as unexplained events, put down to neutron-based events (basically evidence of transmutation WAS seen, but not due to a nuclear fusion event, but to neutron capture events)

Not much has been done recently, but this is a decent overview of the field in 2016 https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...its-something/

So no, we're not getting energy out of room temp electrochemical 'fusion', ever, because it wasn't 'fusion'.

Thread Information