Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holder for sharpening TIG tungsten electrodes

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Don42's Tools

Holder for sharpening TIG tungsten electrodes

It is desirable to spin a tungsten when regrinding it, to get a nice symmetrical point. But that's hard to do with bare fingers because it get hot, and hard with gloved fingers because they're clumsy. I was trying to think of a good holder -- when I realized DUH I have a little tacklebox full of collet bodies and collets that the torch itself uses!

So I made a holder that uses these.
    Holder for sharpening TIG tungsten electrodes-tung-collet1.jpg

Holder for sharpening TIG tungsten electrodes-tung-collet2.jpg

The collet body has a standard 5/16 x 24 thread so I drilled and tapped a piece of 3/8" OD brass tube. I drilled it to a depth of about 0.4", tapped it as far as the tap would go. Then I put a 1/4" 4-flute end mill in the tailstock chuck and ran that in for 0.5 inch to make a flat bottomed hole. I drilled it out the rest of the way to .187 because I had a piece of .187 OD brass tube on hand. That is the "handle", silver brazed into the hole. The ID of the tube is large enough to pass a 1/8" tungsten, the largest I ever use.

That's all there is to it! Select a collet and collet body of the size appropriate for the tungsten to be ground, insert the tungsten like I would when putting it in the torch, grind a nice symmetrical sharp point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Holder for sharpening TIG tungsten electrodes-tung-collet2.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Don42; Nov 19, 2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: one photo appears backwards

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Don42 For This Useful Post:

desbromilow (Nov 21, 2020), ibdennyak (Nov 23, 2020), Jon (Nov 25, 2020), nova_robotics (Nov 22, 2020), Scotty1 (Nov 22, 2020), Sleykin (Nov 27, 2020), sossol (Nov 20, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Don42! We've added your Electrode Sharpening Holder to our Sharpening category,
    as well as to your builder page: Don42's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I was taught to grind the tungsten electrodes lengthwise and to use different stones for the material being welded as to not contaminate the electrode...

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I rotate mine in a hand drill while holding them at the periphery on the side of a diamond honing disc, at the desired angle.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

ibdennyak (Nov 23, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 616 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Oh that's nice. Good idea. I usually just hold them in my hand and burn myself.

I want a sealed/vacuum widget for grinding these. Apparently tungsten dust inhalation is not the best. I don't use them very often, but thoriated rod dust is absolutely to be avoided. Thorium is an alpha emitter, which is about 10x worse than asbestos on the scale of junk I don't want in my lungs.

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I still have an old jar of this stuff...
    Holder for sharpening TIG tungsten electrodes-4amqscuuq0wzzswebyh0gg.jpg

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Don42's Tools
    I don't use thoriated tungstens, partly because the dust is toxic but mostly because zirconiated and lanthanated tungstens work better for me.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    I still have an old jar of this stuff...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4amQSCuuQ0WzZSwEBYH0Gg.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	37311
    I had to do a search for that. That's just amazing.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I've just about settled on the Lanthanum (blue) tips too - they're pretty easy to weld with and the dust is much less toxic.

It takes me about a minute to go from a square end to a nice sharp tip using the drill.

FWIW, Harbor Freight sells a circular saw blade sharpener with diamond sharpening discs and those replacement discs are a cheap source of diamond discs. I made a special bushing to mount one outboard of the wheel on my bench grinder and it's dedicated to tip sharpening.
    Last edited by Crusty; Nov 23, 2020 at 09:07 AM.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    I have every combination of pure tungsten, lanthanated, ceriated, and thorriated rods. I suck too bad at tig welding and can't tell much of a difference. I normally just run pure tungsten.

But in all honesty the only reason I have thoriated rods at all is because I was messing around with some homemade geiger counters a few years ago and wanted something to test them with. Too bad I'm dumb and the alpha emitting thorium don't cause many counts on geiger tubes that are only sensitive to beta and gamma.

Thread Information