Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Homemade Machinist Hammer w/ Exchangable Tips

Thanks

GBWM's Tools

Homemade Machinist Hammer w/ Exchangable Tips

Build of a simple machinist hammer with exchangable tips made out of nylon and aluminium.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GBWM For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jun 30, 2022), nova_robotics (Jun 27, 2022), sossol (Jun 28, 2022), uv8452 (Jun 28, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

uv8452's Tools
    Yes, nice. But any handle made of round stock is an ergonomic sin. I reckon that even in the stone age handles were not 'circular'. Why not use a commercial ash handle and mill a slot into the head?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by uv8452 View Post
    Yes, nice. But any handle made of round stock is an ergonomic sin. I reckon that even in the stone age handles were not 'circular'. Why not use a commercial ash handle and mill a slot into the head?
    Because then you couldn't thread the handle & head to attach them together. This is a basic machine shop project, and it's designed to be made entirely on the lathe. Both the South Bend Machine Shop Projects and Roy Knight's Machine Shop Projects books include similar hammers, though IIRC without the interchangeable heads. I made one in my high school class in 1973, based on the Knight book. Ergonomics wasn't even a word, back then, I don't believe, and certainly not when the first edition of the South Bend book came out. This is not to say these are better, just that there was a point to making them this way. The first use of the word "ergonomics" was apparently in 1949, according to the online Merriam-Webster Dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ergonomics My copy of the Knight book is copyright 1982, 1943, and the earliest copy of the SB book I have says 1954. So it probably wasn't in wide usage then. My last employer didn't start worrying about ergonomics until about 2018 or so.

Bill

Thanks

GBWM's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by uv8452 View Post
    I'd say it's art for art's sake. I mean I could use some wood and make myself a handle out of wood and probably it would be more ergonomic. BUT - one point was to make it on my lathe. Second - I've seen similar projects in the internet and I simply like such design .

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks GBWM! We've added your Machinist's Hammer to our Hammers category,
    as well as to your builder page: GBWM's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by GBWM View Post
    I'd say it's art for art's sake. I mean I could use some wood and make myself a handle out of wood and probably it would be more ergonomic. BUT - one point was to make it on my lathe. Second - I've seen similar projects in the internet and I simply like such design .
    I wouldn't worry, anybody that can machine up to a fat shoulder the way you did cutting those threads can make whatever he wants in my book. In any event a very nice hammer.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information