Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: homemade metal working lathe

Thanks

pkuphaldt's Tools

homemade metal working lathe

homemade metal working lathe-dsc01072.jpg homemade metal working lathe-dsc01068.jpg
    This is my version of Pat Delany's Multi Machine. see multimachine-Wikipedia. see more pictures @ "flyingkmachines.wordpress.com"

This is an example of a home made metal working lathe. It is constructed using recycled automotive parts. I have focused on keeping the cost to as near $0.00 as possible The idea I have is to make this lathe using common recycleable auto parts and be assembled with minimum tools. So far the parts used are 2 Mopar slant 6 blocks, a 3/4 ton Chevy rear axle spindle & hub, a 3 speed car transmission, a Chevy V8 head.

The multimachine is built using vehicle engine blocks combined in a LEGO-like fashion. It utilizes the cylinder bores and engine deck to provide accurate surfaces. Since cylinder bores are bored exactly parallel to each other and at exact right angles to the cylinder head surface, multimachine accuracy begins at the factory where the engine block was built. Parts will be perfectly aligned and at an exact right angle to the face (head surface) of the main engine block that serves as the base of the machine. Blocks have a multitude of tapped holes for mounting accessories. The multimachine uses a unique way of clamping the engine blocks together that is easily built, easily adjusted, and very accurate.

I am not going to put in a lot of specifics and measurements since most likely your project will become different because of different parts being used. I will post more as the project progresses.

I relinguish all liability and you will assume all liability & responcibility for any project built.

Thank you, any thoughts or advice are appreciated. Contact me @ "flying.k@juno.com

1. homemade metal working lathe-dsc01092.jpg 2.homemade metal working lathe-dsc01071.jpg 3.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01071.jpg 
Views:	2650 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	22747
    Lathe with homemade 4 jaw chuck Lathe with factory made chuck
    3Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01072.jpg 
Views:	5813 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	22748 4Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01068.jpg 
Views:	2832 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	22745 5 homemade metal working lathe-dsc01014-1-.jpghomemade metal working lathe-dsc00997.jpg 7homemade metal working lathe-dsc01003.jpg 8homemade metal working lathe-dsc01004.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails homemade metal working lathe-dsc01058.jpg   homemade metal working lathe-dsc01057.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by pkuphaldt; Jun 1, 2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: more pictures

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to pkuphaldt For This Useful Post:

Altair (Dec 10, 2018), baja (Nov 28, 2020), benkeller3 (Jun 20, 2018), bigtrev8xl (Jun 21, 2018), blkadder (Jun 20, 2018), Canobi (Jun 21, 2018), clydeman (Nov 1, 2018), dekeros (Nov 2, 2018), Dimitris Polychronis (Dec 10, 2018), EnginePaul (Feb 26, 2018), haz (Mar 5, 2018), JD62 (Feb 23, 2018), Jon (Feb 23, 2018), JRock (Nov 1, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Jul 16, 2018), mwmkravchenko (Jun 20, 2018), nashty1 (Jun 20, 2018), NortonDommi (Jun 20, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 26, 2018), rlm98253 (Nov 1, 2018), rossbotics (Mar 4, 2018), Seedtick (Feb 23, 2018), sparky42 (Oct 13, 2022), toma (Feb 24, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Feb 24, 2018), volodar (Jun 21, 2018), will52100 (Jun 20, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Hi pkuphaldt - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Very cool! I know that common multimachine design; good to see you working on it. Feel free to add a link to your site in your forum signature, so that the link will appear with each of your posts.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    I can’t figure the logic of the drum then the disc? Why not forgo the drum and start with the disc? Seems a like big waist of real estate.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

paulk's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    I can’t figure the logic of the drum then the disc? Why not forgo the drum and start with the disc? Seems a like big waist of real estate.
    The makeup of the 3/4 ton hub dictates the real estate. Using the rough brake drum as a driving surface allowed the use of a 4 groove pulley without changing motor position. The disc with homemade 4 jaw chuck has to be mounted on the hub end where the axle flange would normally bolt up. Thanks for asking. Paul

Thanks
    I have been following the multimachine google group for a number of years, and I have always wanted to build one of these. Yours came out really well, and I know I will be watching your progress. Thanks for not only posting, but for actually building one of these excellent projects.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    So - I'm guessing this is what is known as an "engine lathe"? Nice job, hope you enjoy using it!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolguy For This Useful Post:

bigtrev8xl (Jun 21, 2018), NortonDommi (Jun 20, 2018)

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    The makeup of the 3/4 ton hub dictates the real estate. Using the rough brake drum as a driving surface allowed the use of a 4 groove pulley without changing motor position. The disc with homemade 4 jaw chuck has to be mounted on the hub end where the axle flange would normally bolt up. Thanks for asking. Paul
    That’s a homemade chuck? I never would have have known. That’s some nice work. Looks like a store bought unit.

Thanks

will52100's Tools
    Very cool.
    courtneyknives.net

Thanks
    Another one on my long list of things to do. Just curious... Did you already have the engine blocks lying around or did you get them from a salvage yard? Wondering about how much 2 would cost? I only have V8 blocks lying about and I don't think they will work as well as a straight 6.

Great job! Looks really well-done.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

paulk's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
    Another one on my long list of things to do. Just curious... Did you already have the engine blocks lying around or did you get them from a salvage yard? Wondering about how much 2 would cost? I only have V8 blocks lying about and I don't think they will work as well as a straight 6.

Great job! Looks really well-done.
    Thanks for all the replies, Guys. If you go to "flyingkmachines.wordpress.com, it lays out the construction in detail. This should answer many questions. As far as my parts acquisition, I'm lucky enough to have trading partners with parts collections. I've managed to keep my investment to $0.00 plus my time & welding supplies. 6 cyl blocks work best, however the project is as good as your imaginations. Given the fact that engine blocks are laid out on 90 deg. angles, V8 blocks open up new possibilities. Have fun building machines that people say, "Where did you get that idea?" Paul
    Last edited by paulk; Jan 2, 2019 at 03:56 PM.

Thread Information