Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.

The net is full of example of DIY touch probes, but when I searched this forum I did not find any examples so here is a post describing one that I made a couple of days back, along with an explanation of how they work and what you need to make them work well. I also describe how I checked for accuracy.

Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.-probe-31.jpg Click for full size.
    This picture shows a typical use that I have for it. Inspecting a motorcycle crankcase that I made from a solid block.

These probes have numerous uses such as reverse engineering parts, setting workpiece positions prior to machining, 3D surface scanning and part inspection. First invented in the early 1970s for a difficult inspection job on Concorde engines, they are now widely used on milling machines and CMMs (Coordinate Measuring Machines). Some top of the range versions have sub micron accuracies. I was aiming for mine to be better than the 10 micron resolution of the slides and DROs on my mill. Testing showed that I was successful.

Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.-probe-15.jpg Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.-probe-02.jpg
    The important bits.

For the full story see a PDF document at https://motochassis.com/FileDump/CNC_Probe.pdf

If I get a moment over the weekend I'll make a video showing the testing procedures.

Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.-probe-25.jpg Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.-probe-26.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), Altair (May 26, 2019), DIYSwede (May 30, 2019), fizzloid (Oct 17, 2023), high-side (May 29, 2019), HobieDave (Mar 3, 2020), Hopefuldave (May 30, 2019), Jon (May 25, 2019), Karl_H (May 28, 2019), LMMasterMariner (May 31, 2019), markcawston (May 27, 2019), Miloslav (May 27, 2019), mwmkravchenko (May 28, 2019), nova_robotics (Jul 14, 2021), olderdan (May 30, 2019), RetiredFAE (Jul 14, 2021), rgsparber (Jul 14, 2021), Saltfever (May 27, 2019), threesixesinarow (May 25, 2019), Tonyg (Jun 14, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 9,724 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Touch Probe to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

fizzloid (Oct 17, 2023), markcawston (May 27, 2019), tonyfoale (May 28, 2019)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    The probe has now been finished off with the addition of a 3D printed box to contain the minimal electronics. This makes it self contained except for a 5v wall wart when using it manually. There is an output for connecting to a CNC or other external device when necessary. The schematic for the electronics is in the PDF linked in the first post, otherwise the following pix are self explanatory.

Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.-probe-34.jpg Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.-probe-35.jpg Click images for full size.

Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.-probe-36.jpg Homemade Renishaw style touch probe.-probe-37.jpg

The box could have been made smaller, but the excess volume is just future proofing.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

fizzloid (Oct 17, 2023), high-side (May 30, 2019), olderdan (May 30, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Great addition to your measuring equipment and a very neat job, I was never quite sure what was inside those touch probes although I have used them in the past on CMMs. I am sure you will be using yours a lot.
    BTW your crankcases are looking fantastic.
    Regards
    Alan

8. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (May 30, 2019)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Great addition to your measuring equipment and a very neat job, I was never quite sure what was inside those touch probes although I have used them in the past on CMMs. I am sure you will be using yours a lot.
    BTW your crankcases are looking fantastic.
    Regards
    Alan
    Alan,

Many thanks.
    I put a link on my Facebook about it and it caught the eye of a Renishaw engineer. He has given it a seal of approval, as far as can be determined by words and photos. He confirmed that my effort is similar to their early continuity probes, nowadays they have different technologies including strain gauge detection of touch. He offered the opinion that mine should be good for around 5 microns repeatability. I know that it is better than 10.
    You can see his comments if you scroll down to the fifth post on Tony's FB . You may need to click on "See more comments"

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information