Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: HOMEMADE TOOL IDEA FOR STRIPPING COPPER WIRE!!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

orioncons36's Tools

HOMEMADE TOOL IDEA FOR STRIPPING COPPER WIRE!!

COPPER WIRE STRIPPER!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to orioncons36 For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Nov 21, 2021), durrelltn (Nov 21, 2021), emu roo (Nov 21, 2021), highpointpat (Nov 19, 2021), Hoosiersmoker (Nov 23, 2021), johncg (Nov 17, 2021), Jon (Nov 18, 2021), luvmygto (Nov 25, 2021), nova_robotics (Nov 15, 2021), Resident114 (Nov 15, 2021), rlm98253 (Nov 21, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks orioncons36! We've added your Wire Stripper to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: orioncons36's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    I, for one, do not like videos that do not have an introduction that lets you know where it is going. That should be the first thing so the viewer does not WASTE his or her time watching something that is of no value to them.

And even the title of this video is misleading. Generally speaking, a wire stripper is a device for cleanly removing the insulation from a SHORT distance at the END of an insulated wire. I and probably many others would be keenly interested in a new way to accomplish that.

PS: Any electrical or electronic supply house will have inexpensive tools that will slit the insulation on long lengths of wire. These devices do not require adjustment for each wire size and they are hand held and much faster to use. I have had two such tools in my tool drawers/chests for decades now.
    Paul A.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

BuffaloJohn (Nov 15, 2021), Frank S (Nov 16, 2021), Sleykin (Nov 16, 2021)

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the interwebs where anyone with a camera can make a video that is all about the Unbelievably Super Fantastic Bestest Tool Ever That Nobody Ever In The Entire World Thought Of This Really Truly It Is The Greatest Idea Of All Time Ever Super Best !!!.

I watch the first 5-10-15 seconds and if they don't show it in action, I skip to the end and look back a minute and if still nothing, I move on. After a few of these guys post, I recognise them and skip them.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 16, 2021), rlm98253 (Nov 21, 2021), Sleykin (Nov 16, 2021)

Thanks
    But still this works for him, and maybe many others to strip insulation from wire. While it may be inconvenient to mix and match wire sizes if you had a pile of the same size wire this would work great.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    When I stripped wire from a pretty large job site and also boxes and boxes from other jobs and projects, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, welding wire in 0 and 00, aluminum in 00 and 0000, solid and stranded, and on and on, I drilled holes in a board for each wire size (as I found a different wire, I used a drill bit template to figure out what new hole to make if the existing ones didn't work) and I used a utility knife and only one blade for all that wire and that one board that was from the scrap pile. The board was put in a vise. Easy to do, very quick, very cheap, very repeatable. The wire was started through the hole, then the knife placed on the input side, sharp to the wire, tip of the blade wedged in the wood, and then you just pull the wire.
    Last edited by BuffaloJohn; Nov 21, 2021 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Nov 21, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    A scrap metal guy would love this tool. It would cost almost nothing compared to the powered ones and would increase the price he got for most of his scrap wire.

Thanks
    Interesting tool. I can see that this would really be good for stripping long lengths of wire. For example, I have 300 ft of 3 conductor 10 gauge wire that might be worth stripping for salvage costs.
    Once question, where did you get the beveled rollers?
    Last edited by racardon; Nov 22, 2021 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by racardon View Post
    For example, I have 300 ft of 3 conductor 10 gauge wire that might be worth stripping for salvage costs.
    The problem with multi conductor wire is it doesn't work well with the rollers this guy has, the natural twist of the wires will fail pretty quickly with this v groove setup.

Romex requires a first pass to separate the flat cover so you can get the conductors free. Then you have paper wrappings to get out of the way. Then you can get to the covered wire.

If you have 10/2 UF-B, well, the problem just got way harder as the cover is thicker and stiffer and fully molded. UF-B is hard to install, stripping longish pieces is a tough go.

If you have cord to strip, the twist in the cord will cause this wedge roller to roll the wire in a pretty non-helpful way. I had to slant the utlity knife blade to compensate for the roll induced and it varied in real time pulling, but recognising where the wire and filler were ment I could change the slant to keep the blade cutting.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information