Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which Homemade Tools Interest You?

Thanks
    Hi romac,

Welcome!

I completely understand about not having the time for all the things you'd like to do. I've always felt the same way, though I'm definitely making progress through the list.

We'd love to see your homemade tools. Please post any you'd like to share directly to our Homemade Tools subforum. We'll add them to the database, as well as to your builder page on the site.

Ken

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    I'm always looking news in tools, first because I'm curious and with sleeping problems, then my days are longer than normal.

After that, when a problem or a new work occurs, it's always a good thing when it's possible to compare my ideas with other people in a community.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Too many things to do not enough time

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    I'm always looking news in tools, first because I'm curious and with sleeping problems, then my days are longer than normal.

After that, when a problem or a new work occurs, it's always a good thing when it's possible to compare my ideas with other people in a community.
    Because I have a very technical mind I am interested in most things, this just makes time even shorter. I unfortunately suffer with Chronic Fatigue so half the time I just have to lay in a corner somewhere, very frustrating.
    I am a positive person and the rest of my health is good so I consider myself lucky to at least be able to do the things that Interest me.

At this point in time I am trying to turn my Seig X3 into a CNC machine, time and money are always in short supply. I would also like to build a small Spark eroder for small splines, 5mm internal spline for radio controlled car drive shaft. I came up with an idea of a radically different suspension system that I am keen to make.

Thanks
    The homemade tools that interest me are what I find useful to aid me in a current project or something that I see a use for down the road. Since I tinker with a lot of things I'm not interested in any one category in particular.

Thanks
    Sounds about right to me. I'm all for eclecticism, to say nothing of finding the perfect, elegant solution to a specific problem.

Let's see some of those homemade tools!

Ken

Thanks
    Hi All,

I am interested in table saw sleds. Specify Ripping sleds, there are not very many designs.

I have seen the "crooked" board" jigs, the taper jig and the thin rip jigs.

I am trying to design a ripping jig to make repetitive cuts on like boards like a 13/16 x 6" x 48"

It going to be like a large cross cut sled with some sort accuracy control. I Have seen a "Panel" sled
    that very close to what I am looking for.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Fred

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Hi Fred, as my english is not so good, I'm not certain that the solution I use is what you search, but for sawing what we call "filets" with ivory or wood about 1millimeter width, I use a table circular saw with metal blades which way originally made for printing use, sawing the linotype alloy, it's made with a movable table very precise mounted on ball bearings, the precision obtained in such material is about 1710 millimeter or less, is it what you're looking for as an idea ?

Thanks
    As a metalworker for 47 0f my 62 years,I have to say that homemade (shop) metal working fabrication tools for laying out ,marking,out,work holding and alignment tools are what grab my interest.

As a convert to lathework, working on all manner of tooling for the lathe also floats my boat.

Oz

Thanks
    Sounds like a long and interesting career, Oz. Let's see those homemade metalworking tools!

Ken

Supporting Member EclecticNeophyte's Avatar
    Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    I'm new to machine tools, as outside of a floor model drill press and a bench grinder, I don't own any... But as I mentioned in my intro, I'm working towards building my first lathe. Nothing fancy, mind you, but [hopefully] will be suitable for simple turnings, etc.. Otherwise, I do have a couple of Lincoln welders (one AC225 stick, the other a PowerMig 255 wire feed), Milwaukee metal chop saw and misc angle grinders.

I'm also in the final stages of building an electric furnace capable of melting Aluminum and Bronze, primarily with the intent of casting parts for other projects. I'll do my best to post some picts...

-Vern

Thread Information