Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Homemade vs. Commercial Drill Stops

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Homemade vs. Commercial Drill Stops

Some of my cabinet and furniture building projects are either too large for my drill press where I can set the drilling depth or I am in the process of installation where only a portable drill can be used to drill holes to a precise depth. I buy and build my drill stops to match the exact diameter of the drills being used so the drill stop does not “wobble” and scratch the surface (also use a paper washer). Also, the setscrew cross holes are threaded on both sides of the stop because over time these threads wear out due to over-tightening and the second hole provides a back-up. These drill stops are particularly handy for preventing drilling through into a finished surface of a beautiful cabinet. The plastic container illustrates the commercially available drill stops.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Altair (Jan 11, 2015), Christophe Mineau (Jan 8, 2015), kbalch (Jan 8, 2015), PJs (Jul 10, 2016), Theuns (Jan 9, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your Drill Stops to our Drilling and Drill Presses category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    I prefer your stops to the commercial ones, Paul. I like that paper washer trick. Thanks for that tip.

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I have also made my own drill stops as I required them. I agree with you to drill the hole with the same drill you going to use. Done mine on the metal lathe. I all so like the idea of having threaded holes on both sides (did not think about it) What metal did you use? I have made my from round bar Aluminum but found the setscrews strips the threads on the bigger drill bits from over tightening to prevent the stops from moving. I think by tightening from both sides will solve this. Like the paper washers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Theuns,
    Yes makes these with a metal lathe. I first layout, drill and tap a series of evenly spaced cross holes on the rod before cutting to length with cutoff tool in lathe and finally drilling to size as needed. I prefer to use 1/2" aluminum rod for the 3/16" or smaller drills and larger diameter 1018 CR steel rods for anything larger. Also use only the fine thread series for set screws and tighten these with the shorter length allen wrenches. Big drills require much longer stops and the set screw have to lock on the drill margin (on the land). The paper washers are just squares cut from index cards and not round. Perhaps delrin washers would be better but in most cases you should be backing off the drill just before it touches and the spinning paper washer gives an early warning.
    Thanks for the feedback, Paul

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,268 Times in 9,727 Posts
    Definitely the homemade stops! Sure, the commercial ones are cheap, but the satisfaction of making your own is priceless.

Al

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information