Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: House built between rocks - photo

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    France? earthquakes? I don't think so, not in the last millennia anyway.
    You might be surprised to know
    During 2020, France was shaken by 1 quake of magnitude 5.4, 13 quakes between 4.0 and 5.0, 264 quakes between 3.0 and 4.0, and 2289 quakes between 2.0 and 3.0. There were also 10705 quakes below magnitude 2.0 which people don't normally feel.
    Biggest quake: 5.4 quake Provincia di Brescia, 21 km northeast of Cremona, Lombardy, Italy, December, 29 2020 11:20 GMT
    https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/ear...ormally%20feel.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    You might be surprised to know
    During 2020, France was shaken by 1 quake of magnitude 5.4, 13 quakes between 4.0 and 5.0, 264 quakes between 3.0 and 4.0, and 2289 quakes between 2.0 and 3.0. There were also 10705 quakes below magnitude 2.0 which people don't normally feel.
    Biggest quake: 5.4 quake Provincia di Brescia, 21 km northeast of Cremona, Lombardy, Italy, December, 29 2020 11:20 GMT
    https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/ear...ormally%20feel.
    Yep I was surprised to know, but after all that, the house is still standing, I don't think it's at much risk.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Hi,
    How funny is it for me to read this conversation
    This house is, I could say, in my neighborhood, I don't know personally the owner, but I have a good friend of mine who does.
    No, don't be afraid with earthquakes, I know that France may be a small and faraway exotic country for most of the people here, but no, that's not so small and that's not because there are earthquakes in other places that there are in Brittany (westernmost part of France).
    Our area is well known for its red granite chaos, with impressive pilings of rocks and boulders, and they have not moved for thousands of years.

To come back to the house in the topic, if there is something that the owner has to complain about, it's not the earthquakes, but the massive flux of tourists sometimes literally invading their yard if not more.
    Some have even been reported to climb on a private house's roof to take the nice picture...
    Some years ago, there were also legal proceedings against a communications company that had illegally used this image in an advertising campaign that could be seen everywhere in the subway in Paris.

Funny enough, there is another interesting place in that same village of Plougrescant, where this house is, it's the church (Saint Gonery's chapel).

So, no it's not because of an earthquake, this happened because a spire was added in the 17th century on a bell tower dating from the 12th century.
    The spire was covered with lead and was too heavy for its base which started tilting on one side as the spire tilted on the other side.
    They since have decided to strengthen the whole thing, leaving the tilt as it is, so here, like in Pisa, we also have our leaning tower :o).

Be all welcome if you happen to visit France to visit Brittany , this is the most beautiful place in the world !!
    Christophe

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Christophe Mineau; Sep 19, 2021 at 04:49 AM.
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

yvonf (Sep 19, 2021)

Thread Information